Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Converting to HD-SDI

Converting to HD-SDI

Something that has been killing me is the need to convert the Output of Catalyst into HD-SDI. This is especially true when I need to Genlock to a video switcher.

I prefer to use Fibre extenders whenever I link directly to a projector. I also use good old RGB-HV. (You'd be surprised how far a 5-wire run can be on 4GHz copper.)

However, my specific needs are for an HD-SDI solution.

Obviously I use ImagePros but this can get a little expensive when running a dozen or so projectors into an HD-SDI system.

I have also used the Gefen DVI to HDSDI Pro Scalers and Scaler Plus. These things are a major pain in the a$$ though. Their genlock totally sucks and hops a half frame out of phase constantly in an HD system.

What I would like to know is what everyone else is using. What works?

Has anyone used any of the HDMI to HD-SDI solutions from DVEO, AJA, Thinklogical, or BlackMagic? How about any other DVI (or even VGA) to HD-SDI solutions?

Your feedback helps, thanks.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

I would recommend looking through the TV-One line of products:

http://www.tvone.com/index.php

They produce extremely reliable products, and they have excellent customer support. I'm sure Simon will be able to give you a more specific model numbers, but at a quick glance on their website you should find what you are looking for. i would say they are the next best thing to Image Pros .

I have now given up on Gefen products as a rule, because I have been let down a fair few times.

Phil

Philip G Haynes
    Live Visual Design and Direction

We use the TV-One C2-2355A Scan Converter
    http://www.tvone.com/c2-2300a-main.shtml
    (more functionality than an ImagePro for about a quarter of the price...)

or the TV-One C27200 Dual Scan Converter
    http://www.tvone.com/c2-7200-main.shtml
    (Dual channel Scan Converter and switcher / processor)

and also the TV-One 1T-C2-520 DVI to HD-SDI as a simpler (cheaper) option
    http://www.tvone.com/1t-c2-520-main.shtml

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Something I forgot to mention was that I have researched dozens of converters and scalers. I have a very good idea of which ones do what. The important thing for me is to know which ones have proven reliable in application.

The three big things for me are:
    1. Genlock: Both Black and Tri
    2. Some sort of Web or USB based control panel
    3. Ability to hold or generate an accurate EDID (or VGA in)

Hey Simon,

That is very good to know. TV One are the kind I have been looking at. However, I wanted field results before I buy.

Philip,

Thanks for chiming in.

To you both (and anyone else), what are your results, pros & cons?

You're right about the Gefens. 7 out of 8 VGA extenders have failed in less that 3 years. The only reason I use the DVI to HD-SDI Pro Scalers is because they are less than $1200 USD per channel. That's cheap.

Another question is if anyone knows a converter solution that will go over fibre?
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...

Has anyone used the DVEO Scan DO HD?
    http://www.computermodules.com/broad...o-HD-SDI.shtml

Anyone used with Tri-Level or Blackburst in an HD system?
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...

Hi Todd

Happy New Year!....

The 2355A an 7200 have ethernet and RS232 control and command set that can be used from catalyst custom serial controls.

There is also windows based software available - good for initial setup on 7200 series - RS232 connectivity - not usb (well - unless you use a USB-RS232 ) - no web interface. Onboard menus can take a little time to get used to - but make sense once you've used them a couple of times...

Genlock on both models have some a few different sync options - but works with black burst.

Both can do VGA input (see full feature set)
    Cant program an EDID in the same way as ImagePro - however, you can program custom resolutions in a similar way - but there are limits upper due to the graphics chipset.

For EDID programming - check out the new 'DVI Detectives' from Pharos
    (not sure when available though)

TV-One give excellent support over here and they are good at adding new features (if sensible and possible...)

I have a number of the 2355's and 7200 - I;ve had no problems over the last few years...

Let me know if you need any more info

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Todd

I would say about your fiber question would it not make more sense to convert pre or post the fiber? Or are you looking for a solution that could save you half a frame or more?

Also why do you want a web or USB menu solution? or is so you can remotely deal with a box up in the truss?

Can't recommend TV-one stuff enough for the price, and they have saved me from having to use extron stuff on fair few times. worth a look, and they seem to gaining market share here in the UK.
    Only downside is the programable front buttons, but its nothing a sharpie and some camera tape can't fix.

Cheers
    Phil

Philip G Haynes
    Live Visual Design and Direction

Well Phillip,

I am notorious for using Catalyst as a video switcher so saving frames is always a plus. The reason I ask about fibre solutions is because I noticed the DVEO devices have a fibre out.

I try to convert to fibre whenever I can because I prefer running fibre. I have been investigating projectors which have fibre in cards. I have also been looking at fibre routers as well.

It's more a thought than anything else.

The reason I mention web or usb solutions is in contrast to the crappy IR remotes which never work on the gefen devices. Obviously if a device has a front panel with easy control then I don't need a remote.

I mention USB because I found a Black Magic device which converts HDMI to HDSDI and it connects directly to the computer using it through USB.

I am open to entertaining all kinds of solutions. The bottom line is to find solutions which work in the field and not the kind that work in theory until you discover the bugs in application.

Thanks for your help.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...

really don't wana hijack this thread at all but I have raised this question elsewhere and with Richard without response. You mention using the catalyst as a switcher.. I have been doin the same as of late with the AS cards and am still having some frame loss issues similar to those with black magic. its a late model macpro etc. Perhaps sourcechild would entertain speaking about his experience via pm so as not to hijack? Would really like to know if this should be happening. I am also interested in this thread topic.. looking forward to seeing where it goes.. thanks

10. with any switcher you will always get frame loss - the active silicons result in a lesser delay than many. We have to get the data through a number of processes before it's squirted out of the DVI ports.

for my 2 penny's worth - if you can live with a little frame delay when switching - Catalyst is great, if not, use a proprietary switcher designed to do that job.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk