Quote Originally Posted by litemover
Richard,

Don't know if this would be worth the effort but i certainly notice that I can open more QT streams (outside of cat) simultaneously without losing playback rate, than in catalayst.

I do have 2.5 g of Ram though, and I think QT caches to ram. That's it, nevermind, I forgot, it does cache to ram cause after a while, i stop hearing my disks spinning.

CC
i have had this discussion many times,

other programs, final cut, quicktime player, dont have to instantaneously change frame position - in response to an external event.
They can buffer ahead -you press the play button, or the space bar - they dont start playing immediately - they preload or preroll movies.

I cant preload anything - because i have to start playing - as soon as possible - because this has to work as fast as possible, when you hit the bump button on your lighting console, you want it to happen - now - not in a quarter to a half of a second.
So - i cant buffer ahead like these programs do.
These programs can schedule ahead- because they know whats going to happen next.
I cant - i dont know whats going to happen
final cut or quicktime player dont instantaneously jump from one part of the timeline or movie to another - if you do this, everything stops, it doesnt continue playing. the time spent prerolling affects instantaneous performance.
I cant do both. Designs involve compromise.
This is the result of the compromise between speed of reponse, and playback layers - which has been necessary to get anything working.
---

quicktime caching - is a very big problem, its something i have no control over. it does it, it doesnt do it- who knows when what or how.
i dont have access to anything to monitor it - or turn it on or off.