Thread: Mac mini output freezes

Mac mini output freezes

I've just upgraded to V4 and installed it on a Mac Mini (intel core 2 - 2Ghz - 2 GB RAM - 320 GB HD). During programing and playback, the video output freezes. No control from console. If a movie is playing and you lower the memory fader of this movie, it continues to play. No fade out. If you try to access a layer - nothing happens. But I can toggle from full screen to control screen. I'm using a CIB as interface. The console is an Avolites Pearl 2008. Anyone has an idea on what might be causing this malfunction?

Thanks,

Samuel

2. Hi there

What codec are you using for the video?

If you look in the DMX Artnet window on the HUD, can you see the DMX values changing?
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Betts View Post
    I've just upgraded to V4 and installed it on a Mac Mini (intel core 2 - 2Ghz - 2 GB RAM - 320 GB HD). During programing and playback, the video output freezes. No control from console. If a movie is playing and you lower the memory fader of this movie, it continues to play. No fade out. If you try to access a layer - nothing happens. But I can toggle from full screen to control screen. I'm using a CIB as interface. The console is an Avolites Pearl 2008. Anyone has an idea on what might be causing this malfunction?

Thanks,

Samuel
    does sound like a dmx thing-
    what happens when you program a very simple cue to just fade in and out a white square?
    does this happen?

Mac Minis get hot. Don't ask me why but of 8 minis I have taken 3 back to Apple for locking up. Apple won't explain why but simply swaps the mini for me. I have gathered it's a heat problem from the Apple support articles and the console results.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

I've worked things out. It seems like the USB output on the MAC mini didn't have enough power for the CIB. Plugged a powered USB hub on the MAC mini an the CIB on the hub and things worked fine. Then I used an Artnet box and that worked to.
    Thanks, Samuel

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Betts View Post
    I've worked things out. It seems like the USB output on the MAC mini didn't have enough power for the CIB. Plugged a powered USB hub on the MAC mini an the CIB on the hub and things worked fine. Then I used an Artnet box and that worked to.
    Thanks, Samuel
    thats also a possibility- its possible that CIB uses just more power than it should-

not a mac mini thing-

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    Mac Minis get hot. Don't ask me why but of 8 minis I have taken 3 back to Apple for locking up. Apple won't explain why but simply swaps the mini for me. I have gathered it's a heat problem from the Apple support articles and the console results.
    this particular problem is not a lock up of software- or heat -