Thread: Catalyst vs wysiwyg

Catalyst vs wysiwyg

I'm quite sure that not..but..there are now some possibilities to link Cata with wyg to show big led screen? how i can bypass Artnet to use a lot of universes DMX (if it is possible?)

Thanks dears.

Luca Baraldo

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Baraldo View Post
    I'm quite sure that not..but..there are now some possibilities to link Cata with wyg to show big led screen? how i can bypass Artnet to use a lot of universes DMX (if it is possible?)

Thanks dears.

Luca Baraldo
    what kindof preview?
    what kindof led screens? dmx? video?

Hi Richard,
    so i'm working in a project using web led froma chroma-q..it is just a proposal..
    i'd like to set up 500 square meters..something like 62 universes dmx! first i can't link my artnet device from Cat to wysiwyg (90.20.20.10 ip on artnet)...in this moment isn't the problem..but what i mean it's that probably i don't have to use artnet (because it seems that can work just with 10 universes). In pixel mad there are much more..but how i can to link catalyst on wyg without artnet? Anyway about web led, yesterday guy from chroma-q support says to me that their device are made with an artnet input as much as it needs..so probably if i link"real" web led the problem dosen't exist!..please apologize my english and my not good experience in big led surface (is my first time) thank you. luca

Hey Luca,

That's a huge number of LEDs. Wouldn't it be better to use an LED processors to map a video signal instead? The only reason to map that many channels of LED is if you have a very custom arrangement and variety of fixtures?

I prefer Visions but I have used video in WYG. The thing is, if you're using a grid of LED you might do better to simply create a 3D object with a pixelized mask on it which you patch your video input to. This way you could create the same concept for pre-cuing without overloading WYG. In this case, all you would need is to capture the video into WYG.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    Hey Luca,

That's a huge number of LEDs. Wouldn't it be better to use an LED processors to map a video signal instead? The only reason to map that many channels of LED is if you have a very custom arrangement and variety of fixtures?

I prefer Visions but I have used video in WYG. The thing is, if you're using a grid of LED you might do better to simply create a 3D object with a pixelized mask on it which you patch your video input to. This way you could create the same concept for pre-cuing without overloading WYG. In this case, all you would need is to capture the video into WYG.
    dmx fixtures are generally much bigger and therefore give a bigger stage picture - like the colour web stuff

500sqm is a much bigger backdrop than is affordable with LED video walls.
    30x16m
    62 universes is only 10000 pixels. not very much at all. 100x100 resolution

in dmx it sounds a lot - in video its 100x100 - nothing...

---

in wyg if you can input video you would need something to map video input to pixels. i dont know wyg well enough

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Baraldo View Post
    Hi Richard,
    but what i mean it's that probably i don't have to use artnet (because it seems that can work just with 10 universes). In pixel mad there are much more..but how i can to link catalyst on wyg without artnet?
    Pro version of Catalyst only allows 10 DMX universe output - so you would have to upgrade to gain access to more DMX universes.

Using artnet would be the only way of getting the DMX information from Catalyst in to WYSIWYG - there is no 'driver' or utility (like Hog2PC or Hog IIIPC - for example)

However, if it's just for simulation in WYG - then try playing a video file (or use video input in to wyg) and 'overlay' the video on to an array of 'video' pixels in WYG - rather than using artnet to control 'DMX' pixels in WYG.

Let me know if you need further assistance

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post
    However, if it's just for simulation in WYG - then try playing a video file (or use video input in to wyg) and 'overlay' the video on to an array of 'video' pixels in WYG - rather than using artnet to control 'DMX' pixels in WYG.
    This is what I was trying to explain. It is easy to create a map that only allows points to come through from a video file. If you create this map in the shape of the Web LED you want to use you can place that in WYG and map the video capture to it.

I strongly do not suggest using more than 4 universes in a visualizer program. In this example, you wouldn't need to.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Indeed - WYG slows down when you give it a lot of DMX....
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk