Thread: Backup options

Backup options

Hi all,

What kind of backup solutions do you have?

A complete system with cat usb protection key and vga or dvi switch to system B? A simpler one?

What do you all suggest?

Thanks,

Peter

2. Hi Peter

It all depends on the show - if the video is critical throughout the show, active backup with second dongle. If you can get away with changing during a quiet period in the show, you can use a USB changeover, two hosts, one device. If you need to changeover, switch over, then start Catalyst on the second machine.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

I suggest 25% redundancy or better.

For every four active servers, I have a backup server.

I use identical machines and copy the Catalyst show folder across all machines. If I am just using cues and presets then the preset file is enough. However, if I'm using DMX (sometimes as many as 3 universe per machine) then I'll copy the configuration file as well.

I also test each machine's files on each different machine to verify working order. This is especially necessary since even a subtle change in the machine will cause one config file to crash another machine on launch.

I typically have the servers plugged into a router so that if one fails, I can run an Applescript which loads the failed server's show file on the backup machine, then I just punch up a router preset which changes the route. This solution tends only to have a 30 second down time.

To eliminate that downtime even further, I will typically run my backup machines live and have them mirror the most critical of my servers. That way, a primary server is failover backed up in 5 seconds or less. The lesser significant of the servers still take the average 30 seconds to launch the correct show file but I have never had anyone notice.

When using DMX I run almost exclusively artnet from a DP-8000 so that one ethernet stream is sent to all machines. Obviously if you're running a DMX cable, you'll have to swap if you fail.

I am absolutely confident in the use of this solution and have developed it for others as well. If you're new to Catalyst or a little unsure about the show files, artnet, or networking, then I would strongly suggest 100% redundancy where you do in fact use a KVM switch.

If using TH2G boxes then you're sort of committed to redundant everything and as many KVMs as you have outputs. This may seem a little impractical but consider that a KVM means instant failover.

On the other hand, manually swapping the DMX, DVI (or VGA) cables, dongle, and SSD from one machine to another is also a possibility but you stand as much as 5 minutes of down time (or more) in the event of a failure.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Hi Todd,

Which KVM do you suggest?

Thanks,

Peter

I have different rack packages and modules that I use for my servers. I'm not brand loyal but have all IOGEAR kvms.

In one system I use two servers(4 outs), two TH2G-As (creating 8 outs), 8 4-Port VGA VDAs, and an 8-Port VGA USB kvm attached to a single monitor. This is for good old RGBHV which down 4GHz Wire is still clean and strong.

In another system I use a pair of servers. Each server has a TH2G-D (4 Outs), attached to 4 DVI VDAs, attached to 4 DVI detectives, 4 DVI over fibre boxes, and a 4-Port DVI USV kvm.

The third system config is for HD and outputs 1080p down DVI extenders.
    Four servers attached to 8 Dual Link DVI VDAs attached to 8 DVI over Fibre extenders, and a 4-port Dual View Dual Link DVI USB kvm.

I have another config I use from time to time in which I use an NTI 4-port DVI multiview. This thing is a little finicky but for the price it's a great head's up on four outputs.

The kvm is nice because I can individually adjust each server. However, I also use VGA and DVI routers so I can instant failover in a problem. A simple VGA AB switch per output will usually work on VGA but DVI is a little more expensive.

Here are links to check the stuff out.

The NTI 4-port Multiview
    http://www.networktechinc.com/quad-splitter.html

4-port Dual View Dual Link DVI USB
    http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1644/

4-Port DVI USB
    http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1764/

8-Port VGA USB
    http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1758KIT/
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...