Thread: Possibly quite stupid question about clip lengths

Possibly quite stupid question about clip lengths

Hi

Do the latest versions of Catalyst still have the maximum workable clip length of 45mins? I remember this being an issue a few years back, I don't know if it's ever changed.

I may well want to play back a 180min movie and have it sync to SMPTE, wherever we jump in the music track the video stays in sync...

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian

no max length in terms of movie playback

HOWEVER:
    In and out frame are only possible for 65535 frames(16bit - about 42mins at 25fps) - but this does not limit playback to 42 mins - movies will run longer, but you cant specify the in/out point beyond 655535 frames... fine for most scenarios

This also provides an issue for sync to smpte for the same 65535 reasons. Richard did introduce a feature of adding both inframe and outframe values to allow smpte sync over 65535 frames. However, Catalyst ignores the "hours" for smpte timecode - so it can still cause issues if your clip is over an hour long, or starts near an hour change...

There is the ability to introduce an offset - but this can get VERY complicated...

In short - sync to smpte for movies less than 42 mins (@25fps) works fine... you will need to experiment for syncing longer movies.

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by iwgalloway View Post
    Hi

Do the latest versions of Catalyst still have the maximum workable clip length of 45mins? I remember this being an issue a few years back, I don't know if it's ever changed.

I may well want to play back a 180min movie and have it sync to SMPTE, wherever we jump in the music track the video stays in sync...

Thanks

Ian

you can make a cue list triggered by timecode which loads different movies at timecode points -

the 45 minutes thing related to dmx 16bit value is really tricky to change.

the movies can be programmed to set frame 0 to any point with smpte options in cue list.

i might have to work on some autolocation stuff to make the cue list relocation work anywhere -

This sort of opens a whole new can of worms but there is the need from time to time to run timecode with frame accuracy on shows that are several hours long. I make this point more for having the need to externally sync timecode.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    This sort of opens a whole new can of worms but there is the need from time to time to run timecode with frame accuracy on shows that are several hours long. I make this point more for having the need to externally sync timecode.
    as most shows are extremely unlikely to use a single movie .... hours long ....

using a cue list would almost always be fine. and would be usual approach -

or whatever they do on a lighting console to trigger different movies to sync to mtc