Thread: Catalyst as a basic video mixer ?

Catalyst as a basic video mixer ?

Hi!

I'm working with catalyst used just as a media player with great posibilites of changing and converting content.

Now i'll have to use it as a basic video mixer (up to four sources) in adition to media server, so i have some questions:

1.Now i'm using build 165 of 4.1 HD Catalyst, it can support up to 8 video inputs, so wich hardware i can use as an input card?

2.How big will be delay of incoming signal( in case of just transmiting it fruther without effects)?

3.I'll be using beamers to create panoramic screen. I figured it out how to do it in case of two beamers(using just catalyst), in case of three i have just some ideas. So can i use tripplehead2go? Is it dividing screen equaly or can i set an overlap area (for beamer technology it's important).

2. Hi Mike

1: Don't use 165 - it is an old release, you can download the latest m257 from the download section of CATVX. For 8 inputs, you will need the LFG4 card from Active Silicon. The inputs are composite. For 2 or 4 SDI or HDSDI inputs, you will need cards from their Phoenix range.

2: The latency on the Active Silicon cards is very low - I am not sure exactly how many frames - maybe someone else has these figures?

3: Yes you can use Dual and TripleHead2Go's, there is a mix setup which allows edge blending with variable overlap.

if you need more info, please feel free to email or PM me.

regards

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

Using Catalyst as a video switcher is certainly possible but not always a great idea. If you are doing purely IMAG then Catalyst switching is not a good idea. If however you like lots of visual and color effects with your inputs then Catalyst is a good choice.

Something to mention also is that Catalyst can control matrix routers. I have configured systems to use a 16x16 matrix router feeding 4 HD-SDI inputs on two Phoenix Cards. The 4 inputs then act as sort of a 2 M.E. Switcher.

You are going to notice drop frames and you will see a latency of about 3 to 4 frames alone just in Catalyst.

If you remain SD and are fine with composite sources, you can run three LFG4 Cards in a Catalyst for 12 total mixes. You will still notice latency but my observations are that the LFG4 is faster than the Phoenix by a few frames.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

I understand that Cataylst is not designed as live video switcher/mixer.
    But i think for my purposes it will be enough. Just switching inputs with minmal live video, mostly playbacks from external sources and of course playbacks from content libriaries.

Tnx for help guyz

delay

Hi Mike,
    Have used live camera feeds on my 4.1 server in the past, with dvi out over fiber to a projector / beamer the delay is quite noticable especially if speech is involved, while on wide shots you will generally get away with it, close ups are quite noticable
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
    Just switching inputs with minmal live video, mostly playbacks from external sources ...
    I would suggest using a Decklink Extreme and capturing HDMI if you are using external media sources. This way you stay progressive and native throughout the whole process. Unfortunately you can only use one in a machine without problem.

Stacking media servers is fine but why not put all the content on one machine?
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...

I used Phoeanix card, i had just one incoming source(HD SDI)and i havn't notice any frame lost or big latency(just total shots). Pananoramic view made by 2 catalysts and two tripplehead2go. So 22 m wide screen, with no problems. TNX for help one more time

Good choice. Glad it worked for you.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Murray View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Have used live camera feeds on my 4.1 server in the past, with dvi out over fiber to a projector / beamer the delay is quite noticable especially if speech is involved, while on wide shots you will generally get away with it, close ups are quite noticable
    Mick
    What capture card and fibre optic TX/RX system were you using? DVI fibre optic extenders are notorious for adding latency.

We have measured the Active Silicon Phoenix x1/x4 PCIe and LFG4 latency at 2 frames. Phoenix cards have the same latency with our UVA D3 systems too.

Hugh