Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hard drives

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    We tested this and found out that we did not get any more performance on a raid than on 1 std disk and 1 sata. os on one and cat on the other.
    besides, when one disk fucks up, you can keep a backup on the other, so you can (hopefully) still do the show. As for the playback sync problem, the use layer function saved the day.

It´s very strange you did´t see any better perf. with Raid0.. I tested this.. with and without... i did see better results with RAID

you should´t be worried the disk´s should crash.. does the OS disk fail your f...ed anyway.. If you shall be totaly backed up You should do Raid 3 or 5 external.. Better yet is SCSI 15k Cheetah´s, I have 2pc of this ones in my Windows computer in Raid 0 and I´m seeing a lot of a difference..
    (vs. s-ata), so it´s a difference with RAID.

Disks rearly f... (as long as you don´t have IBM´s) What if your disk in your GrandMA or WH3 fails? THEN you are f..

Jan O..

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Opseth
    .. i did see better results with RAID
    Which Application?

What kindof tests did you do?

We tested it with the Apple people, and as you can see from the Catalyst benchmark tests, it´s not a special difference. We also tested raptors V Scsi raid at the workshop yesterday, and only on uncompressed and on 4 layers is there a noticable difference. On standard DVpal, the difference is not visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    jan at opsethgruppen dot no

jan opseth
    jan. if you dont want to register thats fine.

no email addresses on this site are visible to any search engines - or any users.
    they are all hidden.

even the 'send email' function available from the members lists - is driven from a form - it does not give out or display my email address.

http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richa...mailmember&u=1

I haven't read this whole post, I just have to say that my Raptors are still running great and very fast. They were a great investment and I never have a problem with the jitters even with high def using a 4 drive array.

Sata turned out tp be a great standard.

Christian

What software do you use for the RAID?

softRAID or Apple?

Cheers

Toby

I use Apple Raid, just to keep the system clean.
    I used SoftRaid in the past, works fine, but we choose to leave the system with only MAcOSX so we choose the Apple
    Gian
    Ibeam SP
    SP, Brasil

apple raid. Works great and is compatible with my firmtek seritek cards.

Christian