Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: hard drives

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr

and a killer case that I am designing.
    Do you want to share your killer casedesign? we are replacing ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    Do you want to share your killer casedesign? we are replacing ours.
    if you are going to use a decklink extreme, you need a lot of space at the back, you probably need at least 10cm.

it has a big cable with all the video connectors.

its doesnt bend too easily.

definetly would not work in highend's cases. they have no room at the back.

see attachment. this is a monster cable!

with the standard decklink cards - its just bnc's mounted on the pci card
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unregistered Guest
    Hi,

I´ve installed an G5 with 2xraptors (73Gb) with Apples own RAID tool,
    their in RAID0, It works very very well..

mail me if you have any questions:

jan at opsethgruppen dot no

regards,

jan opseth

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr
    I have investicated using ultra wide SCSI 15k rpm drives but has anyone tested 10K RPM SATA drives?

Richard where you testing SATA or SCSI 10K's?

Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Hi,

I´ve installed an G5 with 2xraptors (73Gb) with Apples own RAID tool,
    their in RAID0, It works very very well..

mail me if you have any questions:

regards,

jan opseth
    works even better if you put the system on a different disc.

( it does make a difference with accuracy of playback over long segments on 4 layers - I know martin had a few issues with this in norway )

it more important in ntsc 30hz systems which have to work faster.
    we only have to work at 25hz in europe - but an issue with dl1's makes them work better at 30hz too.

--

The system can interupt playback when it does house keeping or any other work - that involves disc access, or virtual memory.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    works even better if you put the system on a different disc.
    It does make a difference with accuracy of playback over long segments on 4 layers - I know martin had a few issues with this in norway )
    We tested this and found out that we did not get any more performance on a raid than on 1 std disk and 1 sata. os on one and cat on the other.
    besides, when one disk fucks up, you can keep a backup on the other, so you can (hopefully) still do the show. As for the playback sync problem, the use layer function saved the day.

We tested this and found out that we did not get any more performance on a raid than on 1 std disk and 1 sata. os on one and cat on the other.
    besides, when one disk fucks up, you can keep a backup on the other, so you can (hopefully) still do the show. As for the playback sync problem, the use layer function saved the day.
    keeping the os separate gives slightly better performance over the long term - minutes -

i dont think using an internal raid is good either. if one disc goes down - you loose everything.

there is no difference between using 1 or 2 raptors - unless you need the extra gb capacity - or unless you want to play back uncompressed movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered

jan opseth
    jan. if you dont want to register thats fine.

no email addresses on this site are visible to any search engines - or any users.
    they are all hidden.

even the 'send email' function available from the members lists - is driven from a form - it does not give out or display my email address.

http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richa...mailmember&u=1

It´s very strange you did´t see any better perf. with Raid0.. I tested this.. with and without... i did see better results with RAID

you should´t be worried the disk´s should crash.. does the OS disk fail your f...ed anyway.. If you shall be totaly backed up You should do Raid 3 or 5 external.. Better yet is SCSI 15k Cheetah´s, I have 2pc of this ones in my Windows computer in Raid 0 and I´m seeing a lot of a difference..
    (vs. s-ata), so it´s a difference with RAID.

Disks rearly f... (as long as you don´t have IBM´s) What if your disk in your GrandMA or WH3 fails? THEN you are f..

Jan O..

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Opseth
    .. i did see better results with RAID
    Which Application?

What kindof tests did you do?

We tested it with the Apple people, and as you can see from the Catalyst benchmark tests, it´s not a special difference. We also tested raptors V Scsi raid at the workshop yesterday, and only on uncompressed and on 4 layers is there a noticable difference. On standard DVpal, the difference is not visible.