Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VGA out to 4 or 9 individual composite outputs

VGA out to 4 or 9 individual composite outputs

Hello,
    I have a show coming up where one of the scenic elements is CRT "Video wall" but arranged in a "broken up" fashion. It will consist of probably nine old tvs of about the same size mounted at different heights and angles.

Each TV will need a unique feed to it to show its own individual content, and at times I will need to spread an image across all of them.

My first thought for doing this was to have a mac mini per tv and use mix offsets however this is quite an expensive solution, even more so if I have to implement a tracking back up.

Therefore I'm wondering if there is a box that will split a VGA signal into separate composite outputs in a video wall fashion, and I'll arrange content and mixes within an output.

My question is; does anyone know of a box that will convert a VGA signal (or DVI) out to something like 9 or 4 composite outputs?
    Something like the datapath VQS01 would probably do it, but I'm sure there must be a better solution out there

My catalyst system is racked up to run shows within a repertory environment, its outputs are analogue TH2GO that are switched between a main and a backup catalyst system, so it would be much easier if the box was VGA in. It could of course be 3 boxes to do the break out to composite.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Paul
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert

2. Hi Paul

no personal experience, but just done a google search for Video Wall Processor - quite a few products out there outputting composite to up to 16x16 layouts.

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by NevBull View Post
    Hi Paul

no personal experience, but just done a google search for Video Wall Processor - quite a few products out there outputting composite to up to 16x16 layouts.

Nev.
    on the high end you can do this with image pros .... i have done it on shows - this is how we did it for the radiohead 2006 tour.... 10 outputs from a single screen

there must be some cheaper scan convertors that have a programmable input crop to composite

There was a 24 output media server on display at PLASA this year (not catalyst) - at about £24K - set up in the same way that Paul was suggesting. - lots of rotated displays producing one large image (up to 4K) - all outputs were DVI (no input however...)

The same result could be achieved with a quantity of Catalysts, TH2G, mix window rotation, offests and a bit of patience!.....
    (and at about the same price)

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

paul was asking about splitting up a single vga output to multiple composite outputs- either 4 or 9 composite outputs- using one catalyst.

I dont believe this is what you are suggesting below-

do you know of any devices that will take a vga signal and split it up into multiple outputs - like a video wall processor?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post
    There was a 24 output media server on display at PLASA this year (not catalyst) - at about £24K - set up in the same way that Paul was suggesting. - lots of rotated displays producing one large image (up to 4K) - all outputs were DVI (no input however...)

The same result could be achieved with a quantity of Catalysts, TH2G, mix window rotation, offests and a bit of patience!.....

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post

Simon
    i think this is more like what paul wanted: ( single vga/dvi output to multiple screens )

http://www.iiview.com/index.php/prod...all-controller

or

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    i think this is more like what paul wanted: ( single vga/dvi output to multiple screens )

or
    Richard,

Have you tested these yet? What kind of latency do they have? Do Mixes properly assign to each of the PIPs? Do you know what the retail is on them, either 2x2 or 3x3?
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    Richard,

Have you tested these yet? What kind of latency do they have? Do Mixes properly assign to each of the PIPs? Do you know what the retail is on them, either 2x2 or 3x3?
    i have no idea about them. i only found them on internet search.

this design shouldnt need any latency.

assigning mix positions isnt difficult

there are a lot of products out there in video wall controller land that do the same things.

and as we all know above a certain viewing distance - resolution isnt visible .... hidef etc pointless . so this kindof thing is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post

or
    Hi Richard,
    yes these are more like what I was after, I could do a cheap scan conversion to composite to make them work with the TV's.

I'm currently investigating these brick2 units
    http://mediat.co.uk/products.htm

they make a 3x3 (9 out) and a 2x2 (4 out) they're s-video so I'm thinking 2 or 3 2x2 units may do what I need it to.

has anyone used these before?

thanks for all your suggestions guys

Paul
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert

scan convert vga to composite - then into brick - sounds great

their brick hd isnt shown as in production

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Hi Richard,
    yes these are more like what I was after, I could do a cheap scan conversion to composite to make them work with the TV's.

I'm currently investigating these brick2 units
    http://mediat.co.uk/products.htm

they make a 3x3 (9 out) and a 2x2 (4 out) they're s-video so I'm thinking 2 or 3 2x2 units may do what I need it to.

has anyone used these before?

thanks for all your suggestions guys

Paul