Thread: TripleHead cable length

TripleHead cable length

Does anyone know how how far I can place my TripleHead analog edition (2400 x 600 pixels) from my MacPro using a VGA cable before the signal capitulates?

Quote Originally Posted by ping141 View Post
    Does anyone know how how far I can place my TripleHead analog edition (2400 x 600 pixels) from my MacPro using a VGA cable before the signal capitulates?
    not very far. design of short cable included with box means its not going to work over long distances. box needs pristine signal

I use 2m VGA / DVI / DVI-VGA cables in our racks with no issues to date. Not tried longer...

Have also used a TH2GD with a high-bandwith gefen KVM switch in a 2 server backup scenario - as it was a cheaper solution than using 3 DVI switches or a DVI matrix. We used 2m cables between TH2G-D and KVM device. Distribution to projectors was 10m VGA out of TH2G-D (with adaptors)

Never tried longer then 2m cable between Mac and TH2G-D and not tried specifically with TH2G-A

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

I used 20' (6m) vga cables once on analog TH2G boxes. I was only running 2400x600 but it worked. I would strongly recommend using anything this long though.

I have however tried 50' (16m) DVI cable with TH2G Digital. These were the special DVI cables made for long distance runs (the thick copper ones). I was able to achieve 3072x768 but not something I would rely on.

Basically, the concept is proven but I wouldn't recommend using more than a 6' (2m) cable.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

I've never done it, but you could put the TH2G box next to your computer and use DVI-fiber converters on the outs to the projectors/displays. They can't do high enough resolution though to go between the computer and the TH2G. But the output side should be fine. You could also use VGA extension solutions like VGA-cat5 or over fiber.

Ryan