Thread: Net com

Net com

Does anyone know how to configure the ethernet to rs232 converter "NetCom111". I having some dificulty in finding the TCP port.

Hi nmotta,

We use these units to send serial commands to our panasonic projectors for controlling the internal shutters and powering up/down. Hope this helps...

Access the netcom's web interface through firefox or safari, the default ip address is 192.168.254.254

Under the Server Configuration page, disable DHCP and give the unit an IP address

Under the Serial Configuration page set the baud rate, data bit, parity and stop bit to match that of your serial device and under the 'mode' heading open the drop down menu and select TCP Raw Server. Below that make a note of the port number (default is 2001)

Then within catalyst, in the catalyst control window scroll all the way down to the custom serial section and click on the grey rectangle at the top right labelled 'No Output'. Click on that then click on 'OSX Serial Setup'

A new window will open and on the bottom left of that window there should be a small grey square with '0 TCPIP Serial Ports' to the right of it. Click on that square and select the number of ports you have i.e. 1 per netcom 111 unit.

Once you've done this, quit catalyst and reopen. Navigate down to custom serial again and click on OSX Serial Setup. You should now have a new port named TCP 1. Beneath the 'Type' heading enter the ip address of the netcom and then the port number to the right of it. Click OK then quit catalyst again.

Reopen catalyst once more then, assuming you have all the details entered correctly and the netcom is connected to the media server, the netcom should appear under 'TCPIP Ports' when you click on 'No Output' on any of the custom serial devices. You can check to see that its connected by going into the OSX Serial Setup again or going to Windows>Status>Serial Ports. Beneath Port Status it should say connected.

Sorry if thats a bit muddled, hope it gets you up and running

Huw

I have about 25 of these units (and a few 114's) and the work really well.

I've found a few timing issues using them in TCP mode, quite often they wont reconnect, and you have to quit catalyst a few times to get them connected, which is a major pain if you have more than one on your system.

I've found it much more reliable to run them in UDP mode. There's no real difference to the end user except you set them to UDP on the box and in the OSX serial setting window, and they will no longer say connected in the status window.

Hope you find this helpful

Also thanks Huw for an informative reply
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert

Thank you all, so much! I already put it to work thanks to your help.