Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Catalyst in snow leopard

ok, another side note......visual fx seem much, much, much more stable in leopard as compared to snow leopard

I would indeed agree that the VFX seem to cause bad behavior in Snow Leopard for me.

late 2008 8core 2.8ghz
    ocz ssd
    8800gt

Quote Originally Posted by ajmaudio View Post
    I would indeed agree that the VFX seem to cause bad behavior in Snow Leopard for me.

late 2008 8core 2.8ghz
    ocz ssd
    8800gt
    please indicate which ones.

and what you did.

and if you say it crash email me pdf profile of machine from catalyst application menu

Quote Originally Posted by westintour View Post
    ok, another side note......visual fx seem much, much, much more stable in leopard as compared to snow leopard
    please indicate which ones and what you did.

and if you say it crash email me pdf profile of machine from catalyst application menu

i thought the "I" button was for making user presets and other menu options.....and manipulating these effects in .167 is causing crashes
    please show screen capture of where you think these 'i' buttons are.

visual fx have very few 'i' buttons - maybe 1 or 2 do anything- framestore.

i thought the "I" button was for making user presets and other menu options.....and manipulating these effects in .167 is causing crashes
    please show screen capture showing where you click.

and send pdf profile of crash-

also suggest you change to m257 - as m167 is obsolete - and any problems will be fixed from that version.

i cant get 181 - 228 to edit when i choose them
    there arent any user options in any of these - the 'i' button there is just a placeholder test.

write cycle wear is between 100,000 and millions of writes- and then the discs have redundant sections which they shift to

well outside this- on any short term application usage...

maybe if you read and write thousands of system files or use virtual memory - but not playing back movies or organising files...

sata hard discs are on a level with this level of failure - and much more catastrophic-

ssd's are totally different beasts from normal discs-
    strategies for their use are completely different- there is no 20% rule- or any sata hard disc rule applicable.

---

xserve raids were a total pain in the ass- and so is the xsan software - administering them was a nightmare - and they never worked well enough to anywhere justify the cost - and they needed an extra machine to administer the thing. and you needed an IT person to set them up ....

performance across multiple machines was not good enough- and overall performance on entire device was only able to do 150MB/s- about 1 or 2 internal ssds bandwidth-

---

the time it takes to write files on multiple machines with the same content is not related to SSD - thats a file copying problem- it doesnt get faster with sata discs-

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    In brief I will agree. Defragmenting a content SSD drive is not a good idea. However, here is a better explanation:

I run the Disk Utility to Zero the Disk.

I Defrag the content on a separate HD and copy back to the SSD

Let me clarify how I will go about this. First, I have all the content copied and verified to backup disk. On the backup disk I run a defragmenter and series of tools so that the content is consolidated and orderly on my backup disk.

One the content is backed up, I zero the data on the SSD using one pass. Then I copy the content back to the SSD.

In this method, I only conduct two write cycles to the SSD.

The reason defragging an SSD is a bad ideas is because the defragging cycle can literally write hundreds of times to a specific zone or specific sectors on a disk during the cleaning cycle.

Another paradigm to consider is the use of the SSD in Catalyst. Ideally, we are not constantly read/writing like other industries. We (hopefully) write once or very few times and then simply read back repeatedly.

Now for a moment consider my specific application. I have a show where the total combined content creation added up to about 800GB of show files. Of course we threw out about 80% of that but we didn't know what was staying or going until the show was on the road.

Now if I had been able to, I would have justified an xServe RAID during preproduction which would have run all the servers. Since I didn't get the budget I needed for content, I had to settle for writing and deleting to the SSDs repeatedly.

Now I mention xServeRAID here for a reason. The show uses multiple servers and a single fast reliable repository for content means copying one time. As it turns out, the workflow I was subject to required tremendous amounts of wasted time waiting for files to copy.

Anyone who's copied a large volume of data to an SSD knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Had I used an xServeRAID, all the content creators on site could have been connected to a single repository through fibre and that repository being the same one I use to run the rehearsals. Instead, using the Gigabit network on copper meant that each time a file was updated it had to be copied successively from machine to machine with my content machine being an intermediary.

Of course some of this is beside the point but it paints a picture of how the content can get so messy and require cleanup from disk utilities.

I'm using 128Gb drives in all my machines, I really only have about 100Gb of safe limit before the disks get too full. (Following the 20% open space rule.)

Having to change content, revise files, and add new ones requires a lot of copying and a lot of deleting. This means dozens of rewrites to and from each SSD.

I have theoretically moved more than 2Tb of data across this disk for this show alone so the machines are do for a cleanup.

By zeroing the disk and rewriting the content to it, I might shorten the life yes, but not really in comparison to using the disk as a constant read/write/rewrite device. This show has two years in front of it so it's not like it's something I'll be doing again soon. So zeroing one time so that all the disks do are reads for the next 120 shows is not a bad trade off.

There are several other articles which talk about SSDs. Specifically that using MLS disks will cause adjacent memory locations to favor one another which causes the reader to misinterpret on first pass if the sectors have been rewritten repeatedly. By zeroing a disk, new data which writes will not be as easily compromised by adjacent cell degradation.

For more info search SSD pros and cons keeping in mind that SLCs have a greater lifespan than MLCs.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    please show screen capture showing where you click.

and send pdf profile of crash-

also suggest you change to m257 - as m167 is obsolete - and any problems will be fixed from that version.

m257 wont let me save my show

m257 wont let me save my show
    are you using cue lists in the software?

do you have a dongle?

( 'saving shows' isnt broken - so something else is missing ... )