Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Catalyst in snow leopard

Catalyst in snow leopard

Is possible use Catalyst with snow leopard?? (osx 10.6)

2. It's a bit early for that question!!

As with all new OS releases, it is best to wait for the new software to settle down and for Apple to mend the things they have broken!
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

Dont even go there....

Apple has only released the latest build (10A314) of Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to developers on the 1st April (ominous!!)

An exact release date for Snow Leopard has not been established , though it could be as late as September.

Stick with the OS you are currently using!

If you still use Tiger on 2007 Macs - stick with it - theses no significat reason to upgrade unless you 'really' want some Leopard features. Everyting still seems to work fine with latest Tiger & Quicktime software updates.

If you are using Leopard on 2008/9 Macs - have not seen any problems with all the latest OS & Quicktime updates.

Would recommend disabling spotlight, by placing hard drives in 'privacy' area
    Users may also want to consider disabling dashboard and keyboard shortcuts, expose, etc.

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

well I´m testing it now and seems good, no problem yet, but I only use it at home, not for shows.

A critical issue which might arise with Snow Leopard are the characteristics of OpenCL removing flops from the GPU to assist in CPU processing. I have been using the beta and have already discovered some concerns. According to the tech notes Apple has up, these issues will be resolved when OpenCL becomes better integrated.

Something else to think about is that the rumor of Snow Leopard being entirely Cocoa. Right now, there are APIs and frameworks in the beta that are still using Carbon. Basically what this means is that there might be a need to entirely reconfigure applications running on the new system. Catalyst would most likely need some rewrite depending on how radically different the interface.

I can't speak for Richard here but from my own development observations, are that while Snow Leopard will "look the same" to end users, it will be radically different inside and Catalyst won't work quite as well (yet).
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

6. Hi All

I have been playing with Snow Leopard for a few days now. My initial testing of Catalyst on a base machine, ie no input cards or other third party add ons seems very positive. Tested using OCZ SSD's and 4870 & 285 graphics cards.

As mentioned before, everyone needs to do alot of testing on their systems to check compatibility with input cards and other interfaces before this should go anywhere near a show!

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    Something else to think about is that the rumor of Snow Leopard being entirely Cocoa. Right now, there are APIs and frameworks in the beta that are still using Carbon. Basically what this means is that there might be a need to entirely reconfigure applications running on the new system. Catalyst would most likely need some rewrite depending on how radically different the interface.

I can't speak for Richard here but from my own development observations, are that while Snow Leopard will "look the same" to end users, it will be radically different inside and Catalyst won't work quite as well (yet).
    No- catalyst should work without any changes at all in my code.
    and so should all previous versions of catalyst.

if it doesnt work apple has broken something that needs to be fixed.

a carbon/cocoa API divide is misunderstood by many people- and its not relevant.

They changed the default gamma

Better watch out for this one....

They changed the default screen gamma... ho ho ho...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3712

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    No- catalyst should work without any changes at all in my code.
    and so should all previous versions of catalyst.

if it doesnt work apple has broken something that needs to be fixed.

a carbon/cocoa API divide is misunderstood by many people- and its not relevant.
    In fact catalyst does work without any changes... so far . everything draws correctly

Quote Originally Posted by NevBull View Post
    Hi All

I have been playing with Snow Leopard for a few days now. My initial testing of Catalyst on a base machine, ie no input cards or other third party add ons seems very positive. Tested using OCZ SSD's and 4870 & 285 graphics cards.

As mentioned before, everyone needs to do alot of testing on their systems to check compatibility with input cards and other interfaces before this should go anywhere near a show!

Nev.
    active silicon are making tentative claims that their stuff works in this years mac pro