Thread: Does the Phoenixcard genlocks it's self?

Hybrid View

Michel

You can only genlock the signal coming into the mac... but as yet you can't genlock to the mac.
    Genlocking the signal via a switcher (grass valley/ross) is the only way I have done it, with multiple signal inputs. In truth though I have in not had any genlock issues via catalyst.

With your latency issue I would suggest you try the same test with the system you are using for the show. How many frames do you think you are loosing in the signal path? I find in Arena shows you can get away with 8 frames without it feeling too uncomfortable.
    What is in the signal path to and from the catalyst? You mentioned a DVI fiber, I assume there are no DVI extenders in the signal path.

Phil

The only time you Genlock a Catalyst is if you output the Catalyst into a converter scaler such as an image pro. Then, in that case, you genlock the scaler, not the Catalyst machine.

Input sources into Catalyst should be genlocked to the system if they are in the system but if they are run directly into Catalyst then they can be freerun.

I'm doing this exact thing now on a tour.
    Cameras feed into the router and switch where they are genlocked. The router is patched to the Catalyst inputs. The Catalysts are run into ImagePro HDs freerun and the ImagePros are then genlocked into the Swicth/router where I can run them to record, IMAG, and the scenic projectors/LEDs.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised