Quote Originally Posted by HTS View Post
Hi All,

I have a bit of an issue with PNG files causing the movie meter at the bottom of the presets programming window to go a little wild. My designer originally created some still images at 2048x2048 resolution and this caused the movies meter to freeze at 590%.

Possibly coincidentally, catalyst has been crashing whilst editing a preset containing this file. (the mouse continues to move about but button presses and keyboard strokes do not work) I've tried converting the files to AIC 1024 x 768 (possibly unwisely) and its dropped the meter down to 30% but that still seems high for a still image.

Is there an issue with png files of this resolution or is there a more efficient file format i could be using?

System setup:

Mac Pro 8 x 2.8GHz
4GB RAM
X1900
128GB SSD
CatalystPM 4.10 m165UB HD

Thanks in advance

UPDATE:

The mac has crashed on me 6 or 7 times today which is quite worrying. I've done some tests and looked into the file format and it seems that the origial file is 1628x1732 in 300dpi PNG format. i guess this would cause such a tax in the system compared to the 346x264 at 72dpi of the 'Testing PNG' file in library 000. If i have the 300dpi file in layer 1 and then load a movie into another layer then the meter drops to 13%. Can anyone fill me in on what this meter represents and why it would vary so drastically.

huw
this is fine its not a problem.

the indicator only updates when a movie frame is loaded.
so loading a still image sets the indicator to the overall time it took to load the frame, then it holds that point

590% means the image took 40ms x 5.9 around 250ms to load - which is normal for still images. around 1/4s

richard