Thread: Problem with PNG files

Problem with PNG files

Hi All,

I have a bit of an issue with PNG files causing the movie meter at the bottom of the presets programming window to go a little wild. My designer originally created some still images at 2048x2048 resolution and this caused the movies meter to freeze at 590%.

Possibly coincidentally, catalyst has been crashing whilst editing a preset containing this file. (the mouse continues to move about but button presses and keyboard strokes do not work) I've tried converting the files to AIC 1024 x 768 (possibly unwisely) and its dropped the meter down to 30% but that still seems high for a still image.

Is there an issue with png files of this resolution or is there a more efficient file format i could be using?

System setup:

Mac Pro 8 x 2.8GHz
    4GB RAM
    X1900
    128GB SSD
    CatalystPM 4.10 m165UB HD

Thanks in advance

UPDATE:

The mac has crashed on me 6 or 7 times today which is quite worrying. I've done some tests and looked into the file format and it seems that the origial file is 1628x1732 in 300dpi PNG format. i guess this would cause such a tax in the system compared to the 346x264 at 72dpi of the 'Testing PNG' file in library 000. If i have the 300dpi file in layer 1 and then load a movie into another layer then the meter drops to 13%. Can anyone fill me in on what this meter represents and why it would vary so drastically.

huw
    Last edited by HTS; 07-03-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Update

What are you doing when the system crashes?
    It is only catalyst or the actual mac?
    it it your own, or a hire mac?

can you create a support PDF profile and post it here. (in Catalyst Menu)
    can you send me a few of the suspect files

what are you trying to achieve - whats the reason for such a large still?
    what are you outputting to and at what resolution?

PNG's aren't usually a problem...

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Hi simon,

Thanks for getting back to me. From the top...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post
    What are you doing when the system crashes?

Sometimes nothing. Been in full screen mode on the programming output and gone to exit full screen only to find that keyboard commnds and mouse clicks do not work. I've had one instance where i've moved the mouse to the dock to access the projector web interface and the computer has ground to a halt (something that leads me to believe that it may not be catalyst at fault)

It is only catalyst or the actual mac?

I think it may be the mac, despite the fact that i occasionally have control over the mouse- option-command-escape doesn't bring up the force quit dialog and command tab doesn't scroll through open apps. Can't access the computer over the network either.

it it your own, or a hire mac?
    Hire mac. i have two so i'm running on the backup at the moment. Managed a session last night without a crash, which is promising.

can you create a support PDF profile and post it here. (in Catalyst Menu)
    can you send me a few of the suspect files
    I created a pdf of the backup machine (which displays the same tax on the system when using the png) yesterday but i'm struggling to get it uploaded. The manage attatchments screen says its uploading then goes blank?? Apologies if i'm missing something. (Trying on macbook 10.5.6, safari 3.2.1 and firefox 3.0.7)

what are you trying to achieve - whats the reason for such a large still?

The stills are projected onto a gauze, quite close to audience so a drop in quality is quite visible (currently 1628 x 1732 300dpi)

what are you outputting to and at what resolution?

Triple head to go digital, 3 x dvi at 1024x768

Thanks

huw

Huw

Some interesting responses - it does seem to be more mac related - although the size of your png's may be a factor (?)

If its a hire machine - Id definitely ask for a replacement - especially if your backup seems to be working fine. Without wanting to steal the job - I do have hire catalysts available if you get totally stuck - But do go back to your hire company first!

Try emailing the files directly to me and I'll take a look.

One point however - since you are only outputting 3 x 1024x768 through the TH2G-D, your still images don't need to be any larger than 3072x768 or 1024x768 each.

If you are blending the whole 3072x768 - use x-offset in each mix - or try splitting the 3072x768 file in to 3 x 1024x768 and use 3 layers and 3 mixes to re-construct the image. (see example pics attached)

Ignore the bottom %bar for stills!...

Simon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Hi simon,

I think my first port of call will be to image the backup machine and restore that onto the main to see whether its something i've accidentally changed in the software/os, but failing that a second computer will be on the cards methinks.

Your point about the resolution of the image is a very valid one, and indeed quite obvious when i think about it. Projector's native res is xga so i've changed it to something close to that, at least (1024x1089 is the closest photoshop will allow without screwing up the aspect)

I'm only blending outputs 1 & 2 and this suspected troublesome still is only used on the third output.

Good to know about the bottom bar not being accurate when using stills. I did notice that if i loaded a movie into another layer whilst the png was in layer 1 then the meter dropped to something sensible.

I'll report back on my findings.

Thanks for all your help

huw

Quote Originally Posted by HTS View Post
    Hi All,

I have a bit of an issue with PNG files causing the movie meter at the bottom of the presets programming window to go a little wild. My designer originally created some still images at 2048x2048 resolution and this caused the movies meter to freeze at 590%.

Possibly coincidentally, catalyst has been crashing whilst editing a preset containing this file. (the mouse continues to move about but button presses and keyboard strokes do not work) I've tried converting the files to AIC 1024 x 768 (possibly unwisely) and its dropped the meter down to 30% but that still seems high for a still image.

Is there an issue with png files of this resolution or is there a more efficient file format i could be using?

System setup:

Mac Pro 8 x 2.8GHz
    4GB RAM
    X1900
    128GB SSD
    CatalystPM 4.10 m165UB HD

Thanks in advance

UPDATE:

The mac has crashed on me 6 or 7 times today which is quite worrying. I've done some tests and looked into the file format and it seems that the origial file is 1628x1732 in 300dpi PNG format. i guess this would cause such a tax in the system compared to the 346x264 at 72dpi of the 'Testing PNG' file in library 000. If i have the 300dpi file in layer 1 and then load a movie into another layer then the meter drops to 13%. Can anyone fill me in on what this meter represents and why it would vary so drastically.

huw
    this is fine its not a problem.

the indicator only updates when a movie frame is loaded.
    so loading a still image sets the indicator to the overall time it took to load the frame, then it holds that point

590% means the image took 40ms x 5.9 around 250ms to load - which is normal for still images. around 1/4s

richard