Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difference in Playback Performance between Catalyst and Quicktime

Hello Holger ! why not using a SSD Raid system?

It doesn't meter if QT play it ... if Catalyst doesn't, it doesn't!

I'm sure you can build a raid of 2 or more SSD it will take a few minute to configure it.

Can you try it?

Druff Emil Druff Pizza Druff!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by emilianomorgia View Post
    Hello Holger ! why not using a SSD Raid system?

It doesn't meter if QT play it ... if Catalyst doesn't, it doesn't!

I'm sure you can build a raid of 2 or more SSD it will take a few minute to configure it.

Can you try it?

Druff Emil Druff Pizza Druff!
    Hi Emiliano,

yes, as i told you, another option is to build a SSD Raid. I think i´ll try this during the next week, because i have a little catalyst training with Reggi during the next days, i´ll have time to check this out!

1000 Greetings

Holger (3 Tage wach :-) )

Quote Originally Posted by Seantava View Post
    Hi Richard,
    hi Gian,

as i told you, AIC is working fine for me but the quality of the movie is from time to time not good enough. Thats the reason why i tried the Animation Codec with a Compression to 75%. My content drive is Mtron SSD 128GB, and i have no framedrops with AIC and Foto JPG 75%. I tried several files now, and AIC is definatly the best performing codec.

I´m used to big setups with catalyst, up to 7 Servers and each server is playing out to 4 Screens 1024 by 768, and everytime i´m using the AIC codec.

But in this special case i noticed some little artefacts around some of the very crisp icons on a monochrome background. This is definetely caused by the AIC Codec. I did all that testing with the Animation Codec in our showroom just to figure out if i could do it under show conditions.

I´ll playback the Movie to Barco R22+ Projectors and the native resolution is 1400 x 1050 Pixel, so i did no scaling during compression at all.

Next step is dividing the movie into more pieces and playback with several machines.

Regards from Germany and thanks for your statements.

Holger
    there are several bottlenecks - and they SHIFT all the time with hi-res files - sometimes its graphics card, sometimes cpu and sometimes its disc bandwidth... all 3 are relevant and interact

yes - for animation codec - you might need a higher peak data rate than from a single ssd- try raiding 2 together.
    with animation codec percentage 75% etc isnt the same as 75% with photojpeg-
    or try using uncompressed files.
    uncompressed might work better as the cpu has less to do - but you will need much more drive bandwidth

richard

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    there are several bottlenecks - and they SHIFT all the time with hi-res files - sometimes its graphics card, sometimes cpu and sometimes its disc bandwidth... all 3 are relevant and interact

yes - for animation codec - you might need a higher peak data rate than from a single ssd- try raiding 2 together.
    with animation codec percentage 75% etc isnt the same as 75% with photojpeg-
    or try using uncompressed files.
    uncompressed might work better as the cpu has less to do - but you will need much more drive bandwidth

richard
    Hi Richard,

today i´ve tried a setup with 2 MTron 128GB Drives in a striped Raid setup. Maybe i´m too stupid, but i noticed a significant performance loss during playback AIC Codec Files. I´m 100% shure that the raid settings were fine.

So, i switched back to a single SSD setup.

Any Idea?

Holger

...i noticed a significant performance loss during playback AIC Codec Files. I´m 100% shure that the raid settings were fine...

Unless I'm mistaken, you're not using a RAID controller?

If you are not using a RAID controller then the processing resources of the computer are used to control the RAID. Once you do this, the performance bottleneck becomes the processor. A RAID card independently processes the RAID leaving the processor and GPU free to render the output.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Hi Richard,

today i´ve tried a setup with 2 MTron 128GB Drives in a striped Raid setup. Maybe i´m too stupid, but i noticed a significant performance loss during playback AIC Codec Files. I´m 100% shure that the raid settings were fine.

So, i switched back to a single SSD setup.

Any Idea?

Holger
    what raid setup did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, you're not using a RAID controller?

If you are not using a RAID controller then the processing resources of the computer are used to control the RAID. Once you do this, the performance bottleneck becomes the processor. A RAID card independently processes the RAID leaving the processor and GPU free to render the output.
    no. not true. this is a data transfer problem not cpu.

if one ssd can do 80MB/s 2 ssd should do close to 160MB/s enough to do uncompressed hi-def
    in this case using raid should double data throughput rate-
    this would be a reason to use raided ssd. and it should work.

RAID 0

Correct ?

Smile Raid 000000000

Hi Emiliano,

of course i´ve set the RAID to Stripe and not to mirror.

But i think Todd is right with his comment regarding the processor load, when you are Raiding 2 Drives together without a seperate Controller Board.

I hope you are fine !

Regards from Germany,

Holger (Pille Palle! ;-) )

Richard!

Hi Richard!

Richard, i´m sure that i´ve done all the correct steps during the RAID setup.

But as i wrote allready, i noticed a speed loss after raiding the 2 Drives together.

I´ve no idea whats going on! Maybe its because i´m not using a raid controller?

Greetings from Germany,

Holger