Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Widescreen overlap

Widescreen overlap

Is it possible to overlap the two outputs in Catalyst??
    What I mean is that when you have two or more projectors to do one picture you need to overlap the images by about 12,5% each and that means that you really can't use the widescreen feature, or?

Bullen

Quote Originally Posted by Bullen
    overlap the images by about 12,5% each
    Bullen
    About 12.5%?

Isnt this a very difficult art?
    Doesnt it depend on the projector, the projector geometry, the gamma of the projector?
    And then the projector black level needs to be compensated for - across the entire image.

I was thinking that this feature would be used with lcds or crts or plasma's more than projectors.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    About 12.5%?

Isnt this a very difficult art?
    Doesnt it depend on the projector, the projector geometry, the gamma of the projector?
    And then the projector black level needs to be compensated for - across the entire image.

I was thinking that this feature would be used with lcds or crts or plasma's more than projectors.
    I was more thinking of that if the outputs could overlap and the projector could take care off the pixeloverlap biz.

Bullen

Quote Originally Posted by Bullen
    I was more thinking of that if the outputs could overlap and the projector could take care off the pixeloverlap biz.

Bullen
    are there any projectors that actually do this?

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    are there any projectors that actually do this?
    I don't know, problaby some external box/software. You know me just a white little innocent rabbit ;-)

Bullen

Lightbulb Projector Overlap

Quite easy with the grid test pattern.

The Barco RLM G5 has some built in functions for wide screen overlap.

Also check out Watchout from Dataton which is designed to do exactly this - multiple projector overlaps for really wide screen.

It would be really cool if the Catalyst developed this kind of functionality.

Cheers

Toby

7. yes

It would be great to have some kind of overlap ability. I know a screen pro can do this as well as the watchout system. However if my understanging of the watchout is correct it can also play video clips and with audio and in real time. Kind of a hard sell to a client. I can hear it now, "why do I need a catalyst if watchout can do that?"

Tyler
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr
    Kind of a hard sell to a client. I can hear it now, "why do I need a catalyst if watchout can do that?"

Tyler
    dmx control.
    Catalyst is a live tool.

9. Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    dmx control.
    Catalyst is a live tool.
    Correct but still a hard sell for some.
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr
    Correct but still a hard sell for some.
    i went to the watchout launch 3 years ago.
    i know what it does.
    dataton and myself had kindof this competing product thing going.
    we both did show control software as well.

i always focussed much more on live control, and live manipulation.

there are many many ways to produce the final result.
    including using very simple technology live just a dvd player.
    you can do all the blending, all the effects in post-production. you dont need anything else.

it depends on what else you need to happen.

in the watchout system, there is a single timeline ( or used to be ) and everything has to be preprogrammed in a specific order at a specific time.
    you can only go forwards you dont have individual control of the elements in your 'composition' -live.

i was trying to do something that was useful in live environments where you didnt know exactly what was going to happen, when it was going to happen or how it was going to happen.
    something that was a little freer than one single timeline moving forwards.