Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: occasional stutter on video input

occasional stutter on video input

using a blackmagic extreme for composite input on a tour... works flawlwess most of the time but every now and then I get a few seconds of jerky video then all is normal again. I cannot be 100 percent sure at this point that it is my catalyst but I assume that the ledpros driving our slight are not causing this. anyone have any thoughts? anyone had any issues at all like this? its very random and I have not been able to see this happen on the catalyst itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmaudio View Post
    using a blackmagic extreme for composite input on a tour... works flawlwess most of the time but every now and then I get a few seconds of jerky video then all is normal again. I cannot be 100 percent sure at this point that it is my catalyst but I assume that the ledpros driving our slight are not causing this. anyone have any thoughts? anyone had any issues at all like this? its very random and I have not been able to see this happen on the catalyst itself.
    i have seen problems like this with specifically the composite input on a decklink extreme- on a tour last year- didnt seem to affect the sdi input.

can you get the sdi input to work and compare?

---

but in these systems there are lots of sources of these things.

Not sure that I will be able to do that while we are out on tour... I'll try... I looked on the Black Magic site and found a new firmware release that fixes genlock stability and general stability and performance but when I called them they said they had no reports of issues like mine. I'm not certain that a genlock issue would look like this.. though it may in the digital domain once the signal is "in the card". As far as other things that may cause this... are there any system tweaks or other things anyone can recommend taking a look at... the system is flawless aside from this issue and I'd like to get it rectified asap.. thanks

Out of interest what is your system configuration and s/w versions?

Ross

m165, 2.8ghz 8 core mac pro, decklink hd extreme2 running latest os... anyone using this card with or without the same problems??? The new firmware revision for the decklink card does not seem to have rectified the problem... it MAY be less severe but its been hard to observe. I ahve contacted them and they have supposedly heard no similar reports during usage of the composite inputs. I dont have access to a converter to use the SDI input at this time but if this is a definite solution I will get one asap.

I have reported a similar issue to Richard this week with playback of content from the SSD drive. I wonder if it's not actually the Decklink but something else like the OS, QT or graphics card.

Regards,

Ross

7. I have had a similar problem with the Decklink installed - content streaming from the SSD drive would occasionally stutter when starting playback. This problem went away when the Decklink card was removed from the machine.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

For me it was mid playback and not when playback started.video input not switched on although Decklink card present.Ross

Im only having issues with the actual video input as far as I can tell... my ssd playback seems to be fine though perhaps it could be better as all of those components were installed at the same time. does anyone know if perhaps the video is buffered " off the card" perhaps to the system drive for QT to do its thing? This is starting to be a serious issue for me... any and all ideas are appreciated. With all the reading I did it seemed that the decklink card was a no brainer thats what kills me lol

do any of you guys NOT have your card installed in slot 4??? afer some research its supposedly the best option... these newer 08 mac pros no longer use the expansion slot utility to set the speed of the slots.. they are permananty asigned their "lanes" turns out mine is installed in a PCIe 2.0 slot ... changing slots will be my next move... surely it isnt that easy?? anyways.. question still stands.. any of you have your cards in a slot other than number 4?