Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External MSC MIDI Triggering

I have to disagree with you there, we own nearly 50 of the UNOs and use them constantly on shows that involve standard midi (note on/off, program change) MSC and MTC and have never had a problem that didn't eventually transpire to be caused by something else. In fact we have run MSC command over 100m of XLR using nothing but passive jumpers in the past, and even with that weak a signal they have been solid.

Exactly what problems have you experienced, are you sure there wasn't something else at blame?

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    Try to Avoid the M Audio Unos if you can. I found many problems with them when I was rushed into a show. The 2x2s seem to be the best simple solution I've found and are quite robust.

I've since found that Medialon is a nice way to control triggering.

If you're going to be using a lighting controller to trigger catalyst then MIDI is the wrong way to go. Use a single DMX channel and the Catalyst Preset Trigger.

In the inBuild web server it will show you how the DMX profile is setup. This is truely a simpler way to run catalyst presets.

Also DMX isn't always the way to go, in a situation where you have a lot of cues that coincide with LX cues it can often be simpler to hook into the MSC cues that a lot of desks send automatically. This negates the need for the LX programmer to have to add cues to trigger video when he is up to his eye balls in plotting the actual LX cues. He can then just add dummy cues on the odd occasion that there isn't an existing cue for you to piggy back on.

Quote Originally Posted by gazzer82 View Post
    Exactly what problems have you experienced, are you sure there wasn't something else at blame?
    On one occasion on three machines, the UNOs would not connect. Drivers were removed and reinstalled (from a terminal level). Still didn't connect. In both cases, I swapped the UNOs for 2x2s and they worked fine.

On three additional occasions using different machines, after reboot the UNOs did not come online and had to have drivers reinstalled.

In every case, switching to a 2x2 or something better has worked. I will admit though that I haven't used an UNO since Fall 2009. Maybe the drivers are fixed.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by gazzer82 View Post
    Also DMX isn't always the way to go, in a situation where you have a lot of cues that coincide with LX cues it can often be simpler to hook into the MSC cues that a lot of desks send automatically. This negates the need for the LX programmer to have to add cues to trigger video when he is up to his eye balls in plotting the actual LX cues. He can then just add dummy cues on the odd occasion that there isn't an existing cue for you to piggy back on.
    Since I prefer the Hog 3, MA2, or Vector when programming, I am not always considering other desks. However, I still can't understand how you'd save time when using a CAT preset trigger is literally 1 DMX value on one DMX channel and their are profiles built on all three of those desks to quick select it.

I've honestly only found that the best use for MIDI into Catalyst is in using a Medialon or as a TimeCode Source.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

5. I have to agree with Gareth - in the busy production period of a theatre show - the LX programmer usually wants nothing to do with video and having to create cues is a major pain for them. So the easiest solution is not to bug them, use the MSC outputs and to ask for as fewer 'video' cues to be created as possible.

I have also just put a couple of systems together for bands touring their own video system to festivals - a two mac mini server system in a nice little 4u rack. Self contained and easy to use. We have used MIDI over the network, as included as standard in Mac OS. The noise boys send a MIDI note to preset a sequence, another to GO and the third to fade out.

This has worked very nicely, and allowed the band to tour their own playback system that is usable with most screens/projection setups that festivals can provide.

The other benefit from using MIDI over ethernet is, that there are no short cable restrictions and you don't need another interface to go wrong!

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

I have similar experiences to Nev with LX programmers. Most of them don't mind adding a blank cue or two to allow a bit of conducive MSC triggering, but that is generally as far as it goes.

Medialon is a big hammer to crack a small nut - most modern moving light desks do MSC quite well. I've used Medialon very successfully to control Catalysts via MSC, but it is a very expensive solution.

Hugh