Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video portion of file freezes, audio continues

Video portion of file freezes, audio continues

I have a video file with audio. The file is 850.5 mb, 1 hour 18 minutes long. At 36 minutes 30 seconds, the video portion freezes, but the audio continues to play. When I play the file in Quicktime, it doesn't lock up. I have catalyst v4.10 build 119. the mac is a dual G5, 2Ghz with 2.5 GB of Ram. The video card is ATI Radeon 9800 pro. I'm running a Maxtor Atlas 10K5_147WLS SCSI hard drive. Any thoughts?

thanks,
    Johnny

The longest a file can be in catalyst to play back is 65536 frames (the number of steps in 16 bit DMX).

If you are playing a 30fps video, this works out to 2184.5 seconds, which is 36 minutes, 24.5 seconds. Your framerate might be slightly different.

In order to play that complete file, you'll need to split it up.

thanks so much. It makes sense now. In frame and out frame controlled by dmx. I wish little bits of information like this were posted in the manual.

thanks again!

Check out this thread:

http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richa...ead.php?t=1332

Using the audio playback modes is an easy way to workaround this.
    Best Regards,
    - Marty

That's a good point you raise. The file I am playing does have audio with it, so I was only using the audio playback mode. I did also notice that when the video file stopped playing, the audio continued to play. Why is this? The audio is from the same source as the video, so why if the video is stopped the audio continues?

thanks,
    Johnny

i think m165 behaves differently- i cant remember when i changed it-

video should continue as well as audio in play audio modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's a good point you raise. The file I am playing does have audio with it, so I was only using the audio playback mode. I did also notice that when the video file stopped playing, the audio continued to play. Why is this? The audio is from the same source as the video, so why if the video is stopped the audio continues?

thanks,
    Johnny
    its just a software choice - 16 bit dmx can only get you in and out points up to 65535 frames -

if you are using a lighting console - you cant get a bigger number.

i only stored information about 65535 frames-

i think its bigger now - but you can only get them using play audio.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

thanks,
    Johnny
    I believe this is because audio is not bound by IN or OUT frames in Catalyst like video is.

Try using the Audio play mode to trigger your video and it should not hit a stop, but you will also lose IN and OUT frame control of your video.

Hope this helps
    Best Regards,
    - Marty

hmmm.......I'm using the audio playback mode. Same thing happens. I'm using a FPS Road Hog for a console. I wonder if there is something in the audio mode of the personality file written by FPS?

Thanks,
    Johnny

Shouldn't be a problem with the profile....I use H3 all the time.

Are you using the profile under HES or Catalyst in the library?

Check the DMX view against the protocol to make sure you are outputting the proper value.....this will rule out profile issue or not.

Whate version Cat software a re you running? (ie- v4.1 m165)

Hope this helps.
    Best Regards,
    - Marty