Thread: rs 232

rs 232

using a videotek 12 channel router/switcher to switch sources into the HD Extreme card in new machine... it emulates a grass valley device as far as control parameters via serial... Leitch is also part of this group I beleive.. does anyone know if the Leitch profiles built into catalyst will work on these devices.. I wont have the switcher on hand for a bit and wanna get this squared away before tour starts.. thanks

scratch that... I thought there was a 12 channel switcher in there but I dont see one.. .the problem I am having is that I have the grass valley protocols manual ... which needles to say covers devices way more advanced than the unit I will be using... and I cannot clearly see how to construct the control strings.... it would appear that they are far more complex than any strings I have seen for other devices.. any help or insight would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by ajmaudio View Post
    scratch that... I thought there was a 12 channel switcher in there but I dont see one.. .the problem I am having is that I have the grass valley protocols manual ... which needles to say covers devices way more advanced than the unit I will be using... and I cannot clearly see how to construct the control strings.... it would appear that they are far more complex than any strings I have seen for other devices.. any help or insight would be appreciated
    just use 16 channel switcher in catalyst - the way switcher protocols work it does the right thing-

you need to post some of the control strings - i dont know what they are.

normally its a simple connect like command - connect output 1 to input 2 ...

well thats the problem.. it appears that the device cant just take a string whenever.. u have to initiate sessions, calculate checksums etc etc... the device is a videotek rs-12a. I thought u had to use the serial control device in catalyst to do this btw???

Quote Originally Posted by ajmaudio View Post
    well thats the problem.. it appears that the device cant just take a string whenever.. u have to initiate sessions, calculate checksums etc etc... the device is a videotek rs-12a. I thought u had to use the serial control device in catalyst to do this btw???
    thats complex! for a switcher.

i have never seen or used these switchers-

i have done a control panel for kramer, extron, and some others- they are much easier-

----

if it uses a transaction protocol - i have to write software - and i need the device-

it looks like their may be a dumbed down version of the protocol that will work on this device... I hope so! I'll keep u posted just in case it comes in handy for someone in the future.