Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Older Catalyst and HD

Here is another question, if the Decklink Extreme HD works, is there anyway to use the HD-SDI output on it as a mix out in the catalyst? I have a show that is going to be using the catalyst and they will record everything and they asked if I could send them the content. I can just use one of the outs on the TH2G, but then I have to convert it to SDI because that is the only input the switcher has on it. So it would be great if I could just bypass the converter and use the SDI out on the card.

Thanks

2. no - Catalyst outputs from the graphics cards only - nothing comes out of the decklink's SDI outputs. You will have to scan convert the output.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

YES, the decklink works great as INPUT, 1080i no problems.
    NO Outputs
    Gian
    Ibeam SP
    SP, Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by efxmaster View Post
    Does anyone know if the Decklink Extreme HD card works with the Catalyst?
    The decklink extreme will work in new Mc Pro machines. Don't try it in old G5s though because processing HD-SDI is a little much for those.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

I will look at the decklink card. If not, would you recommend the new Phoenix card from Activesilicon?
    Watch out for frame buffering when using HD-SDI on the decklink on 2007 MacPros - Not tried it on a 2008 MacPro yet.
    See Decklink buffering Movie - scrolling text starts to slow down, then suddenly catches up

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

So I just got the new Mac in today. I have not really done anything with it yet except to put the Mtron in. What are the steps involved in putting the Catalyst software on the new computer. Should I just download it from the forum and there it is? I thought I heard once that there is a usb device that must be attached.

Thanks for all the help.

So I just got the new Mac in today. I have not really done anything with it yet except to put the Mtron in. What are the steps involved in putting the Catalyst software on the new computer. Should I just download it from the forum and there it is? I thought I heard once that there is a usb device that must be attached.

Thanks for all the help.
    High End created a device they called the CIB (Catalyst Interface Box) when they were distributing Catalyst for Richard. It was as simple as plugging in to make it work. You could use one if you could find one I suppose but their not available new anymore.

Another device and the one I recommend is from Enttec and is called DMX Ethergate MK2. This is an ethernet box that allows for DMX in or DMX out. There are still several other devices that allow you to input DMX. Basically though, all you need is to send Artnet to your ethernet port and you have a working DMX Catalyst.

As for the software, m165 is the official release. Just download it from the website. Once you down load it you copy the application it into a folder called Catalyst (or whatever name you want to call it). The application is the little thing that looks like a red ball and has the extension .app.

The magic of a Mac is that there isn't really an installation process like there is on other platforms: [copy = install] & [delete = uninstall].

I personally have a folder in my Applications folder called Catalyst. In that folder I have dozens of subfolders which are both specific to the show and specific to the version of Catalyst I am using.

Each instance of the Catalyst app creates its own settings files that are stored in the same folder as the Catalyst app. This is the reason I have duplicates in many different folders. That way I can have unique settings for different configurations on the same machine.

You can run any version you want. (Hypothetically you could run versions simultaneously if you wanted to. Don't).

Just run the one you need at the time you need it.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    A G5 can run a TH2G. I have run 800x600@60Hz and 1024x768@75Hz.
    Doing this I can run six layers of SD. I have a client that does this now and has been doing 5 shows a week with it for close to 2 years now. All the content is AIC@25fps 2816x768.
    Which G5 will be needed to playback max 1 movie SD (3 mix outputs)? Which graphic card, X1900 G5 or can it be less?

And what in the case of 3 movies SD?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Which G5 will be needed to playback max 1 movie SD (3 mix outputs)? Which graphic card, X1900 G5 or can it be less?

And what in the case of 3 movies SD?
    this posted information is very very misleading-

x1900 only worked on pci-e g5's -which was only the last revision from Oct 2005 - almost noone has these.
    everyone refers to 'g5' as older pci or pcix macs.

---

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    YES
    A G5 can run a TH2G. I have run 800x600@60Hz and 1024x768@75Hz.
    Doing this I can run six layers of SD. I have a client that does this now and has been doing 5 shows a week with it for close to 2 years now. All the content is AIC@25fps 2816x768.
    the original poster was referring to a pcix dual 2.7Ghz g5- the pci-x g5's cannot do anywhere near this kindof thing.