Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Older Catalyst and HD

Quote Originally Posted by efxmaster View Post
    If not, would you recommend the new Phoenix card from Activesilicon?
    we are still doing compatibility testing on a range of machines with this card - its only in beta testing

Basically 3 screens in HD, some of the content will be in 1080i some will be in smaller sizes, but the client would like the ability to run all 3 in HD if they can.

Thanks
    most people out there would probably use 2 computers to do this-

I told the client that I would not want to do this with out 3 computers, but they just don't have the cash. They know that it may not work. And if not they are OK with that. I was only going to use the Triple Head to run 2 of the outputs. It says on their website that it will do 2 at 1920X1080. I was going to use the other output to run the third screen. I am going to do some serious testing on this when my new computer gets in.

Thanks for all of your help with this project. I will let everyone know what happens with this.

I told the client that I would not want to do this with out 3 computers, but they just don't have the cash. They know that it may not work. And if not they are OK with that. I was only going to use the Triple Head to run 2 of the outputs. It says on their website that it will do 2 at 1920X1080. I was going to use the other output to run the third screen. I am going to do some serious testing on this when my new computer gets in.

Thanks for all of your help with this project. I will let everyone know what happens with this.
    its says on the matrox site - you need to check...
    not all resolutions are supported by all graphics cards or systems..

the graphics card might not support 3 outputs at 1920x1200 either - but it might - you have to check these things.

computer and graphics power is not unlimited.

i myself would not try running more than 2 outputs at 1920 in any configuration - right now- its too close to the edge of performance for safety in a show scenario.

Yes, I would not either, but luckily for me these people are basically beta testers for everything. If there is a new piece of equipment out that has not been tested, they want to test it and give feedback. Like I said, they know that it may not work. I will post back and let everyone know how this comes out.

Also, I meant that I would use the Triple Head to run 2 of the screens and the second output of the computer. It is very possible it wont support it. I can't seem to find any information on their website. I will keep checking.

Thanks

As a backup plan they are going to render everything in 720P also. It should be able to run that right?

Also, they have one video that they want to make custom for the 3 screens. How big of a video will the Catalyst output. I mean 3 screens at 1080i would be a total resolution of 5760X1080. If and I don't even know if a video can be made in that format, if it can, could the Catalyst output it. 3 screens at 720P would be 3840X720. Can it do that.

Thanks for all the help and support for this.

7. The software can do it - can your hardware?? Catalyst software can output pretty much any resolution up to the quicktime limitation - the question should be 'can my hardware run this content?' And thats something only you can answer by testing.

I don't think that anyone on this forum can categorically say what your system is capable of. You need to test these scenarios on your machine with your content. As Richard said, there are too many variables in hardware, OS, software etc.

Personally, I would let an old G5 system deal with SD and lower and would only use a MacPRO with high spec graphics card and SSD drive for anything more than that.

Let us all know how you get on.

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

Richard,

You said that the Phoenix card was still in testing. Do you know where in the US I could get one? I would be willing to do some testing for you. I have access to a building that has HD cameras and equipment that I could bring my Catalyst to and run some test with it. I can set it up to run under show conditions without actually having it run a show.

Let me know because I would be glad to help.

Thanks

A couple of notes, not that I wish to dispute other experts but I have a few results of my own.
    They do know what they are talking about and I support them. However, I have tested a few of the scenarios.

A G5 can run a TH2G. I had a client doing this every week. Doesn't make it a good idea. Use a Mac Pro.

A G5 can run 3 layers of 1920x1080 but not on 3 different outputs. The memory size must be increased and you must use an SSD. Basically better to use a Mac Pro.

It is possible to run three screens can run 1920x1200 on a single Mac Pro. I do this now in my studio at home using a Matrox device on one of the outputs.
    This is not a setup I would use for a show.

Something else very important to be aware of...
    Multiple Catalyst machines can be synchronized to play together. If you do this, be aware that the more you tax one machine, the more likely you will begin to notice a frame delay between the master and the slaves. You won't notice it as much on discretely different screens but if you edge blend, it will be noticeable if there is a frame lag.
    Last edited by SourceChild; 23-09-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: To enhance clarification
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Thanks for the help. Does anyone know if the Decklink Extreme HD card works with the Catalyst? I would really like to try and get an HD input card seeing as the SD-SDI Decklink card for Mac Pros is only $100 less the the HD version.

Thanks