Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Older Catalyst and HD

Quote Originally Posted by efxmaster View Post
    Hello all. I have an older Catalyst. It is running M165, but the computer is older. The computer is a Dual G5 2.7GHz with 512 MB of Ram. It does have a SCSI hard drive for content. My question, is that I have a show coming up in a month that really wants to playback HD content. So I have been able to run 1 1080i movie in the Apple Intermediate Codec, but if I try and add a second one it will drop the frame rate of both down to 15FPS. I tried running the same thing on my laptop which is an Intel Duo 2.2GHz with 2GB of ram, but only the normal hard drive that Apple puts in their laptops. It did almost the same thing.

Anthony
    your laptop is faster than your g5 tower...

the scsi drives HES shipped were not good either.

what you see is telling you about the total system performance you can get - its about 30fps for the files you have.
    i doubt you will get much more than that.

Thanks Richard.

So with a newer system and a SSD do you think I will be able to get 3 1080i videos to play back?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks Richard.

So with a newer system and a SSD do you think I will be able to get 3 1080i videos to play back?

Thanks for your help.

you need to check and double check the exact limits of your setup- as they are all different - and there is no comprehensive answer.

--
    i can get 3x1080 to play - on newer systems - using AIC codec-

in the end it does depend on the content -

Thanks everyone for the help. I went ahead and ordered a newer Mac. Here is what I ordered.

2 3.0GHz Quad-Core
    2GB of Ram
    1 320GB 7200 for System
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512 Video Card

I am going to buy the Triple Head 2 Go and a SSD hard drive. What is the best place in the US to buy those?

Also, anyone know how hard it is to transfer the Catalyst software and everything over to the new mac. I have a decklink card that came with it that I would still like to use. Is that hard to move over?

Thanks for the help.

Richard,

You said the AIC codec.

That is the Apple Intermediate Codec right?

Thanks

Richard,

You said the AIC codec.

That is the Apple Intermediate Codec right?

Thanks
    yes.

its the only thing that works well enough

Thanks everyone for the help. I went ahead and ordered a newer Mac. Here is what I ordered.

2 3.0GHz Quad-Core
    2GB of Ram
    1 320GB 7200 for System
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512 Video Card

I am going to buy the Triple Head 2 Go and a SSD hard drive. What is the best place in the US to buy those?

Also, anyone know how hard it is to transfer the Catalyst software and everything over to the new mac. I have a decklink card that came with it that I would still like to use. Is that hard to move over?

Thanks for the help.
    the decklink card wont work- the new macs use a different pci architecture ( unless you have a very late g5 - some of the last ones used pci-express )

----

with regard to triple head- they only work at certain resolutions- what resolution do you need?

----

in the usa
    www.dvnation.com

im sure there are others now.

I will look at the decklink card. If not, would you recommend the new Phoenix card from Activesilicon? According to Matox's website I can use the Triple head in a dual head mode and get 1920X1080 twice. I should be able to use the other output of the 8800 to get the third output at 1920X1080.

Basically 3 screens in HD, some of the content will be in 1080i some will be in smaller sizes, but the client would like the ability to run all 3 in HD if they can.

Thanks

I will look at the decklink card. If not, would you recommend the new Phoenix card from Activesilicon? According to Matox's website I can use the Triple head in a dual head mode and get 1920X1080 twice. I should be able to use the other output of the 8800 to get the third output at 1920X1080.

Basically 3 screens in HD, some of the content will be in 1080i some will be in smaller sizes, but the client would like the ability to run all 3 in HD if they can.

Thanks

Thanks
    you cant do 3 screens in HD with one triple head - they only go up to a certain size

you are really pushing this to try to do 3 HD screens at the same time- the graphics card will need testing by you - you need to try and test your setup.
    you cannot get whether it will work from specs- you have to build and mockup and test what you intend-
    Third party devices need compatibility testing.

System dependent. Maximum resolutions supported may vary. To verify if your system is compatible with TripleHead2Go, please run our GXM system compatibility tool.

2 Available when TripleHead2Go Digital Edition is connected to the system's dual-link DVI output under Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems.
    What projectors/displays are you using?