Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Older Catalyst and HD

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    YES
    A G5 can run 3 layers of 1920x1080 progressive (note that this is not 1080p or 1080i).
    what do you mean by this?

This makes no sense...

The video card must be changed and the computer requires more than 2Gb of memory and an SSD.
    change the video card? from what to what?

I have done this with few frame drops only on a single output system. Absolutely no sync though, it started dropping frames like mad when I tried to sync.
    No idea what you mean by this - but it seems you might be contradicting yourself in saying it worked...

this is all mixed up - and refers to multiple things all in one sentence - each one of which is unclear and ambiguous.

YES
    Three screens can run 1920x1200 on a single Mac Pro. I do this now in my studio at home. Two on a TH2G digital in Dual head mode and one on the second output using X1900XT.
    This is very taxing on the system if I run video on the TH2G output. Video on the single screen works fine.
    ? ? ? ?

you say it works - then you say it doesnt.... and only works on a single screen....

Another possibility you can try is to use Fibre channel cards in a Mac Pro and in a G5. Use the same disk in your Pro and Fibre link it to the G5. You could then run HD on each output of the Pro and a single on the G5.
    This is not necessarily a good idea but it would work.
    ??????? fibre link discs ??????? why? what would that achieve?
    sharing discs?

Im not aware of any way to do this.

Something else very important to be aware of... If you try to sync different edge blended machines, you will experience frame delays across projectors. You won't notice this if you have separate screens side by side but you will most certainly notice when you have edge blending from different computers. It's subtle but something you'll notice with fast moving content across an edge blend done by multiple machines.
    i cant see how this relates to the beginning of this post ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Which G5 will be needed to playback max 1 movie SD (3 mix outputs)?
    If you have a newer G5 that has the PCIe you can get an X1900XT.
    If you have an older PCI-X G5 I suggest getting a new Mac Pro.

You could use a DH2G on the X1900 and run three outputs but I don't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    And what in the case of 3 movies SD?
    A G5 can run 3 layers of SD without a faster disk or better video card. I strongly suggest a Mac Pro instead with an Mtron SSD and X1900XT.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Ok, I for some reason cannot get the Decklink to work. Brand new decklink extreme HD. I have it in slot 2. When I called Blackmagic, they told me that it needed to be in slot 4. When I moved it up there, the Catalyst started running very slow. Like it would only play things back at 15FPS. And I mean like simple DV movies. When I moved it back to slot 2, the Catalyst started working like it should, but I still cannot get it to work. I can see the video using the Deck control software that came with the card, but when I go into Catalyst to set it up, I either get Black, or green lines.

Any thoughts?

I will put up some pics of this event, because it turned out to be really cool. I had to do some keystone correcting on 2 of the screens, and they client was blown away that it could do that.

Thanks for everyones support with this.

Quote Originally Posted by efxmaster View Post
    Ok, I for some reason cannot get the Decklink to work. Brand new decklink extreme HD. I have it in slot 2. When I called Blackmagic, they told me that it needed to be in slot 4. When I moved it up there, the Catalyst started running very slow. Like it would only play things back at 15FPS. And I mean like simple DV movies. When I moved it back to slot 2, the Catalyst started working like it should, but I still cannot get it to work. I can see the video using the Deck control software that came with the card, but when I go into Catalyst to set it up, I either get Black, or green lines.

Any thoughts?
    Lets backtrack a little here:

What mac do you have? G5/intel/2007/2008
    What OS?
    What version of Catalyst are you using?
    What version of Decklink HD Extreme drivers are you using?

Can you post a 'support' PDF profile'

Were you trying to use the deckink control software at the same time as catalyst?

I've just configured an HD Extreme (old model without HDMI) for a client with no issues on a 2007 3.0G intel MacPro, using latest available drivers and m165 - card was in top slot and configured with the Expansion slot Utility in Tiger. Input and output was set to uncompressed SD-SDI

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Ok, I will try and post a support PDF.

To answer some question, Brand New Mac Pro (came in 2 weeks ago)
    8 - 3.0GHz core
    2GB of Ram
    32GB Mtron SSD
    Nividia 8800 ( I think that is the graphics card, I am not in front of it right now)
    OS 10.5.4
    Catalyst m165
    Decklink Extreme HD 6.8.1.

I have it in slot 2 right now, because when I put it in slot 4 and then put the catalyst in full screen, the second bar at the bottom ( sorry don't remember what it reads ) goes all the way up to 200% and every movie I have plays back at 15FPS no matter what format or size it is in. At one point i got the signal using the Blackmagic deck control software, but when I closed that and opened Catalyst, still nothing. I think the signal source may have not been right. After this show is over, I am going to look into it more. My bigger question is why Catalyst starts playing back slow when I put the Decklink card in the top slot. Do you think it has something to do with OS 10.5.4? If so, how would I get a copy of Tiger?

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by efxmaster View Post
    Ok, I will try and post a support PDF.

To answer some question, Brand New Mac Pro (came in 2 weeks ago)
    8 - 3.0GHz core
    2GB of Ram
    32GB Mtron SSD
    Nividia 8800 ( I think that is the graphics card, I am not in front of it right now)
    OS 10.5.4
    Catalyst m165
    Decklink Extreme HD 6.8.1.

I have it in slot 2 right now, because when I put it in slot 4 and then put the catalyst in full screen, the second bar at the bottom ( sorry don't remember what it reads ) goes all the way up to 200% and every movie I have plays back at 15FPS no matter what format or size it is in. At one point i got the signal using the Blackmagic deck control software, but when I closed that and opened Catalyst, still nothing. I think the signal source may have not been right. After this show is over, I am going to look into it more. My bigger question is why Catalyst starts playing back slow when I put the Decklink card in the top slot. Do you think it has something to do with OS 10.5.4? If so, how would I get a copy of Tiger?

Thanks for the help.
    check the decklink system preferences- make sure you do not have decklink desktop output turned on-
    its in the system preferences->decklink

this used to be turned on by default whenever any software is installed.

Also - don't install Tiger on a brand new 2008 MacPro - stick with Leopard.

I'll have access to my system later with HD Extreme in it - I'll take some snapshots of the preferences panels which may help you to diagnose your problems.

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post
    Also - don't install Tiger on a brand new 2008 MacPro - stick with Leopard.

I'll have access to my system later with HD Extreme in it - I'll take some snapshots of the preferences panels which may help you to diagnose your problems.

S
    there is only one decklink preference that matters so far- thats the decklink video desktop. this must be turned off.

sounds to me like the main output screen is set to the decklink card.

none of the other problems here have been reported or relate to catalyst.

the card slot of the decklink card matters very little when doing video input.

Thanks for everyones help. The show went great, and everyone was blown away by what the Catalyst was capable of. I ended up using 3 screens, 2 of which were at a very bad spot to project from. So I did not have a direct path to the screen, I had to put it off center and use the keystone feature on the mix output to correct for it. That was the main thing that blew away everyone. It looked great and was able to handle the videos fine. Here are a few pics of the event. In one of the pics you can see the Catalyst menus on the wall next to the screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images