Thread: DH2G or TH2G

DH2G or TH2G

Hi,

I a need a new one (have an analog Dh2G) but which one should i buy and why (analog or digital)? If i buy digital i would probably need a dvi - cat5 extender? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Hey there Peter,

I use DH2G and TH2G devices. I have analog and digital of each. It's your choice but I would strongly suggest using the TH2G digital just because the price difference is so negligible.

The digital runs off of USB power instead of a power supply. The digital also runs a bit cooler. The digital will also run analog but the analog will not run digital.

The analog 3 will only run 3 screens. The cool thing about the digital though is that it will automatically detect how many connections you have and run that many monitors.

I started using the 3 to run 4 screens on a mac with 3 on one output and a single monitor on the second output. I have changed this though and I now use 2 TH2G boxes configured to output 2 screens each and still run 4 outputs and everything works perfectly.

My system also consists of Thinklogical Vis-30. These are the most expensive of the DVI extenders but they also have eproms to store the DDC table so that my computer always recognizes the devices attached. They also have a local DVI out which I hook up to my local monitors so I don't need to run splitters.

There is another possibility though. Matrox makes a product I have been interested in using called the Veos. The check them out, they seem cool. However, the cost for the Veos is made up for using thinklogical boxes.

I am working on an installation application and I will probably use the Veos boxes. However, for most all Catalyst enviroments, I want the Thinklogical Vis boxes.

There are other assorted threads on these products. What I can also mention is that there is another expert on the forum who has offered some very legitimate negative impressions of the thinklogical boxes which carry some weight.

Check them out. If you have more questions, feel free to contact me.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Hello,

new here and planning to get a occasion catalyst server. Does anyone know if v3.0 also will work with TH2G? Or do I need v4 for that (is that still available)?

thx!

J

V4 and a new Mac Pro with a good GPU .

What mac are they giving you with the V3 ?

I've looked at the server and it is a 3.3 pro system as sold by HES 4 years ago.

specs are if I'm correct:

Dual 2GHz Powermac G5
    1Ghz frontside bus
    512MB DDR400 SDRAM (max 8GB)
    147 GB ATA (Pro OS and software)
    10k RPM 147 SCSI drive
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb DDR videomemory

I understand I need v4 to use a TH2G? Can I run v4 on this system (maybe by installing more ram?) and does anyone know what the cost of an upgrade are?

with kind regards Joost

Quote Originally Posted by Jovaaa View Post
    I understand I need v4 to use a TH2G? Can I run v4 on this system (maybe by installing more ram?) and does anyone know what the cost of an upgrade are?

It's not the software only it's a combination of Software and Hardware .

Even if you install V4 con a g5 it will not work . Maybe the TH2G could work with 3x800x600 ( MAY BE ) but then the Computer it self will be too slow to manage that Big Space.

buy a Mac Pro, a standard one it's a big step forward compared to the G5 .

You may need to buy a new Video input card.

But you save money on the follows :

• Flight Case
    • Monitors
    • CIB
    • You can even use that funcy box from HES to distribute the local Video.

You Will loose :
    • video Card input
    • SCSI drive
    • G5
    • Video Card output

Cost of a standard MAC PRO 2500 Euro www.apple.com/macpro ( chose your country b4 looking in the Apple Store )

a cost of a Nice fast disk it's less the 500 Euro ( contact www.pixelsplus.co.uk they have good prices )

This is is not the fasted Catalyst System in the Globe , but with 3.000 euro you can get a New Mac System

Where are you from ?

Emiliano

Quote Originally Posted by Jovaaa View Post
    I've looked at the server and it is a 3.3 pro system as sold by HES 4 years ago.

specs are if I'm correct:

Dual 2GHz Powermac G5
    1Ghz frontside bus
    512MB DDR400 SDRAM (max 8GB)
    147 GB ATA (Pro OS and software)
    10k RPM 147 SCSI drive
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb DDR videomemory

with kind regards Joost
    as people say - you have a very old computer - that will be unlikely to work with triple head - the 9800 graphics card is not good enough - you need an intel mac with x1900 or 8800

Hi,
    thanks for the answers. I hoped with this occasion it was goint to work (they asked 2500-3000euro). It is to expensive to upgrade the mac, and then this is ex an upgrade to v4.
    I need three 42" plasma's to run video's sync and they need to be triggered by midi. I'm going to look for an other sollution, catalyst looks great to work with. Maybe some on some other project I run in to it.

I'm from amsterdam, the netherlands by the way.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jovaaa View Post

with kind regards Joost
    Hallo Joost,

Wij zijn in Delft gevestigd en zijn dealer van Catalyst systemen.. Wellicht kun je contact met ons opnemen om te kijken wat we voor je kunnen doen.. We verhuren ook systemen dus dat kan ook een oplossing voor je zijn.

Hoor graag van je.
    Fons Hogenes
    Improve
    Rotterdamseweg 270
    2628 AT DELFT
    Netherlands
    info@improve.nl