Thread: import patch and serial

import patch and serial

Hello,
    I'm sure someone else must have asked for this before...

I wound find it very handy to be able to export the DMX patch and the custom serial commands to a file and use that file to import them in other shows.

Thanks
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert

2. Hi... That is possible ofcourse...

On the location of your program file for Catalyst you can find some other files like:
    Catalyst presets.txt
    CatIntel(PPC) settings.xml
    colourpresets.xml
    mediafilesinfo.xml

You can copy these files onto any other catalyst mac and it will run exactly the same way. Even between Intel and PPC machines, by simply changing Intel for PPC...

I juse my macbook for setting up all servers for shows. On my memory stick I create a folder for each server and put in the files as descriped above.
    This way you can archive your settings as well.

Hope this helps ....
    Fons Hogenes
    Improve
    Rotterdamseweg 270
    2628 AT DELFT
    Netherlands
    info@improve.nl

Right, would be cool to get a export/ inport manager where the user select what to save / load with in one file only.

Quote Originally Posted by Improve View Post
    Hi... That is possible ofcourse...

On the location of your program file for Catalyst you can find some other files like:
    Catalyst presets.txt
    CatIntel(PPC) settings.xml
    colourpresets.xml
    mediafilesinfo.xml

You can copy these files onto any other catalyst mac and it will run exactly the same way. Even between Intel and PPC machines, by simply changing Intel for PPC...

I juse my macbook for setting up all servers for shows. On my memory stick I create a folder for each server and put in the files as descriped above.
    This way you can archive your settings as well.

Hope this helps ....
    Hi Fons,
    I was aware of this, however I dont want all the settings just the DMX and the serial. My DMX patch is pretty much always the same as is my serial commands. I like to start each show file from a clean slate so being able to select what to import would be a real time saver.
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert

5. Well, if your DMX patch is basicly always the same. Just create it once and then save the mentioned files on a stick or something to use every time you start a new show... Kind of a template...

Although i understand what you and Emilio are saying
    Fons Hogenes
    Improve
    Rotterdamseweg 270
    2628 AT DELFT
    Netherlands
    info@improve.nl

fine granularity in settings is a complex business.

I have written a few basic Objective-C and Applescript programs that can do this. They work for me and I would suggest that if you know anything about XML, you could do the same. Unofficially, they will work. However, changing excerpts from configuration files can create bugs you wouldn't find out about until the wrong moment.

Ultimately though, until Richard integrates a tool into the code he's written. The safest bet is to follow the recommendation of just copying all the settings files. I personally have 50-something Catalyst application folders in my inventory. I also have 50-something copies of Catalyst in these folders so that I can instantly launch them for use.

You could do the same.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised