Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X1900XT and Tiger on July 2008 MacPro

X1900XT and Tiger on July 2008 MacPro

Have done some testing in the last few weeks using X1900XT on a June 2008 MacPro, running Leopard - and also Tiger...

Initial tests revealed that currently available X1900XT cards DO work in 2008 MacPro. Model tested was purchased June 2008. Old X1900XT cards also work once the firmware is updated.

Firmware update available from: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...areupdate.html

The X1900XT cards supplied as specified with a new MacPro also work (!...)

Tests were carried out under Leopard 10.5.4 with all online updates.

[ you dont want to do this...]
    Also tested installing Tiger (10.4.11) on a 2008 MacPro - and initial indications show that it works ok. [ no it doesnt - you dont want to do this ]

Method for installing tiger was to swap the Hard Drive from a 2007 MacPro and put it in the 2008 MacPro. Haven’t actually tried doing a DVD install of Tiger - I use disk images burnt on to hard drives for all my builds. Tiger Hard Drive was initially created on the 2007 MacPro (The Leopard disk also worked in the 2007 MacPro... obviously)

Reasons for test is that there has been a lot of rumors about exactly these subjects. These tests were to establish what works and what doesn’t.
    So far, I've not compared performance directly between any hardware/software configuration - so cannot comment directly. Any further feedback welcome

Watch this space...

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

2. Hi Simon

I too have done some X1900XT vs 8800 testing under Leopard - with the X1900XT being marginally better - variation in FPS per layer is noticeably more stable with the X1900.

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

X1900XT is the best card for Catalyst (short of getting a quatro FX).
    Sadly though I can still only run two TH2G boxes on an 8800 (or quatro) and not on the X1900XT.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Is there still a difference in the amount of layers between 1st and 2nd gen macpro's?

There are a number of factors that dictate 'how many layers you can run' on any mac - the main consideration is Hard Drives - for best results, use SSD's and the correct codec. (eg Apple Intermediate)

Performance differenced have been noticed between Leopard and Tiger - but this cannot be quantified by 'layers'.... or with reference to the generation of Mac.

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

Should also note Apple Intermediate only improves things on 8-core not 4- core machines. I get 15 layers on 8-core with ssd drives and only 10-11 on 4-core in either photo jpeg or AIC on the 4 core machines and AIC on the 8's.

Ross

Is this only on the 1st gen macpro's or on both?

Did you run tiger or leopard?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Tested using X1900XT on a June 2008 MacPro, running Leopard - and also Tiger...

Initial tests revealed that currently available X1900XT cards DO work in 2008 MacPro. Model tested was purchased June 2008. Old X1900XT cards also work once the firmware is updated.

The X1900XT cards supplied as specified with a new MacPro also work (!...)

Tests were carried out under Leopard 10.5.4 with all online updates.

Also tested installing Tiger (10.4.11) on a 2008 MacPro - and initial indications show that it works ok.
    Haven't tested an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT on a 2007 MacPro yet... X1900XT is good enough.

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post

Rosswill, how about your system specifications?

Simon, which 2008 macpro did you use? Is there a relevance in 2,8 or 3,0 or 3,2 in layers like roswill said?

For the moment we're running on a macpro 2,66 X1900XT tiger with no problems but we need a new one. And i dont now if i should go for the newer models instead of a 2nd hand.

Mac pro used was a 3.2G 8 Core, tested with both tiger and leopard

I usually recommend the most up to date - however, you need to consider direct compatability - ie memory & graphics card (X1900XT works in both)

For example - all my macs are the same spec and generation - which means I can swap graphics cards, drives/os, memory etc with no problems

A recon 2007 macpro will work out cheaper and is just (if not more) reliable as a new 2008 MacPro, as they go thru a more intensive testing process.

The bus speed and RAM is faster on a 2008 MacPro - and the 3.2G processor is 0.2G faster than before.!. While this wont have much impact on playback, you might want to think ahead for future HD video input...

choice is yours.....

S
    Last edited by Mr_P; 20-08-2008 at 02:47 PM.
    Simon Pugsley