Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artnet

artnet question

Hi,
    not sure this is the right forum to ask, but there seems to be some activity around here, the artistic license forums are not so active it seems...

I have a very very very basic question about the ArtNet protocol:

I'm investigating the possibillity to programmatically control lights over ethernet using an artNet to dmx interface. I am new to dmx as well as artNet, so forgive this question:

in the ArtDmx specs I don't explicitly find the structure of the dmx data, I guess this is so straigthforward for all you dmx wizards that it seems ridiculous to explain ?

in my naivety I see two options-

option1:
    it is a sequential list of dmx values, length 10 means values for the first 10 channels, length 300 means values for the first 300 channels, every value is one int8 in size

option2:
    it is a list of channel - value combinations, like 100 20 101 20 102 20 would set channels 100-102 to value 20 but here I would not understand what the size of each 'field' would have to be.. since 512 doesn't fit in an int8..

thanks for your patience,

Joost.

rekveld at lumen dot nu

Quote Originally Posted by rekveld
    Hi,

option1:
    it is a sequential list of dmx values, length 10 means values for the first 10 channels, length 300 means values for the first 300 channels, every value is one int8 in size

rekveld at lumen dot nu
    dmx data doesnt really have any 'structure'.

its extraordinarily simple. its not really what one understands by a protocol

option 1 is the way i use this.

help !

Thanks for the reply to my previous question, it made it possible for me to make some Max patches to control ArtNet and program the stuff I wanted to do. I'm was working on a project to control multiled tiles from Max/Jitter on a Mac.

For two weeks now I've been in the possession of an Artistic License Ether-Lynx O/P interface, and well.. it's a bloody nightmare !!
    I have tried everything to get it to work, but it won't, talked to many people, talked to the nice guys at artistic license, but so far no solution.

My time is running out now, I have a week before my show and I still haven't been abel to run any tests with actual lights on. I'm seriously considering to send back the unit and go for a less optimal solution (the LanBox from CDS in Holland, they are mac and even max/jitter-friendly), but which would give me less dmx-slots for the budget I have.

As a last attempt I want to describe my problem:

I power the unit, the led's do their chase thing, the red one is on.
    I connect Ethernet, but the yellow one does not come on, whatever I try. I've tried all possible settings, powering up sequences, with crosscable, with a hub, etc.
    At times (during a few minutes after power-up) my mac thinks there is a network, hubs tend to agree, but the unit apparently never thinks so...
    After a couple of minutes the led's go back into their chase mode (if they ever got out of it in the first place).

It took me a while to discover that this means that the problem is probably not in the packets I send, but that it is more basic than that: there is even no network.

my understanding is the following:

computer settings:

IP: 10.0.0.1 (yes, I put the alt-net jumper in the unit, also tried 2.0.0.1 without the jumper)
    subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
    no DNS or router adresses
    ethernet manually configured 10BaseT/UTP half-duplex, 1500 max packet size (also tried automatic configuration)

I use a cross-ethernet cable (or a hub, tried all other combinations too).
    Power comes through the 4pin XLR, not the ethernet connector.

What on earth can be wrong with this ?
    Is there a magic trick which suddenly will make it work ?
    Is there a some subtle develish difference between ethernet on mac and pc ?

any (speedy) magic much appreciated.

regards,

Joost.

use an ethernet switch - not a hub.
    A switch allows each network port to set its own speed.

and dont use a crossover cable.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    use an ethernet switch - not a hub.
    A switch allows each network port to set its own speed.

and dont use a crossover cable.
    I own 3 products from the Artistic Licence Range and have never had any problems. I created a separate profile in networking Called Artnet. In Network preferences On the TCP/IP tab I have configuration set to manual. An IP address of 2.0.0.134 Subnet of 255.255.255.0 and everything else blank. On the Ethernet tab Configure is set to automatic. I doubt it makes any difference but I also have person file sharing enabled. I then simply use a patch cable to connect between the Mac and the Etherlynx. The yellow light should come on immediately and the network will be established. This works on my G4's, G5's and Powerbook.

Quote Originally Posted by rosswill
    I own 3 products from the Artistic Licence Range and have never had any problems. I created a separate profile in networking Called Artnet. In Network preferences On the TCP/IP tab I have configuration set to manual. An IP address of 2.0.0.134 Subnet of 255.255.255.0 and everything else blank. On the Ethernet tab Configure is set to automatic. I doubt it makes any difference but I also have person file sharing enabled. I then simply use a patch cable to connect between the Mac and the Etherlynx. The yellow light should come on immediately and the network will be established. This works on my G4's, G5's and Powerbook.
    i have had problems getting dmx input working, but never dmx output.

i use always use an ethernet switch as this gets rid of any auto-sensing problems between mac and artistic license box.

Macs auto sense both speed and sex of ethernet.
    ether-lynx only works at 10BT.

thanks, but no luck so far..

thanks a lot guys, appreciate your help very much !
    hope i didn't come across as being too negative about the artistic license unit: I know it's probably me who doesn't really know what he is doing, and I wouldn't have bought the unit in the first place if I didn't think it is a good product....

I tried the settings with IP 2.0.0.134 subnet 255.255.255.0 as described, did the same with jumper on and IP 10.0.0.134 same subnet.

tried straight cables, cross cable,
    power unit first, mac afterwards and the reverse order

tried some variations of the above settings, also tried with my manual settings for the type of ethernet connection, but no luck at all !
    I don't get it...

tomorrow I'll pick up an ethernet switch and give that a try, after that I am going to give up and go for an alternative, since my time is running out..
    Very strange..

thanks again,

Joost.

im a fan of the ethernet switch with leds. then you can see whos talking...and whos not...

...final suggestion... try plugging direct without using a hub or switch. It might help you trace the fault.