Thread: Artnet

Hybrid View

use an ethernet switch - not a hub.
    A switch allows each network port to set its own speed.

and dont use a crossover cable.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    use an ethernet switch - not a hub.
    A switch allows each network port to set its own speed.

and dont use a crossover cable.
    I own 3 products from the Artistic Licence Range and have never had any problems. I created a separate profile in networking Called Artnet. In Network preferences On the TCP/IP tab I have configuration set to manual. An IP address of 2.0.0.134 Subnet of 255.255.255.0 and everything else blank. On the Ethernet tab Configure is set to automatic. I doubt it makes any difference but I also have person file sharing enabled. I then simply use a patch cable to connect between the Mac and the Etherlynx. The yellow light should come on immediately and the network will be established. This works on my G4's, G5's and Powerbook.

Quote Originally Posted by rosswill
    I own 3 products from the Artistic Licence Range and have never had any problems. I created a separate profile in networking Called Artnet. In Network preferences On the TCP/IP tab I have configuration set to manual. An IP address of 2.0.0.134 Subnet of 255.255.255.0 and everything else blank. On the Ethernet tab Configure is set to automatic. I doubt it makes any difference but I also have person file sharing enabled. I then simply use a patch cable to connect between the Mac and the Etherlynx. The yellow light should come on immediately and the network will be established. This works on my G4's, G5's and Powerbook.
    i have had problems getting dmx input working, but never dmx output.

i use always use an ethernet switch as this gets rid of any auto-sensing problems between mac and artistic license box.

Macs auto sense both speed and sex of ethernet.
    ether-lynx only works at 10BT.

thanks, but no luck so far..

thanks a lot guys, appreciate your help very much !
    hope i didn't come across as being too negative about the artistic license unit: I know it's probably me who doesn't really know what he is doing, and I wouldn't have bought the unit in the first place if I didn't think it is a good product....

I tried the settings with IP 2.0.0.134 subnet 255.255.255.0 as described, did the same with jumper on and IP 10.0.0.134 same subnet.

tried straight cables, cross cable,
    power unit first, mac afterwards and the reverse order

tried some variations of the above settings, also tried with my manual settings for the type of ethernet connection, but no luck at all !
    I don't get it...

tomorrow I'll pick up an ethernet switch and give that a try, after that I am going to give up and go for an alternative, since my time is running out..
    Very strange..

thanks again,

Joost.

im a fan of the ethernet switch with leds. then you can see whos talking...and whos not...

...final suggestion... try plugging direct without using a hub or switch. It might help you trace the fault.

i think something is wrong in his software.

this is my c struct for an artnet packet from their spec

typedef struct ONE_ARTNETDMX_PACKET
    {
    char ID[ 8 ];
    unsigned short OpCode;
    unsigned short ProtVer;
    unsigned char Sequence;
    unsigned char PhysicalPortIndex;
    unsigned char Universe;
    unsigned char UniverseHi; //docs says this is unused
    unsigned short Length;
    unsigned char Data[ 512 ];
    };

Ether-Lynx O/P for sale

Hi,

I've been complaining about Artnet a lot in this thread, and it turned out that my box was faulty, after all. The Artistic License people repaired it and tested it nicely.

The box I bought is now for sale: I have never used except on my desk and haven't even connected it after I got it back from Artistic License last summer.

It is an Artistic License Ether-Lynx O/P interface, I'll take any reasonable offer, I'm based in Amsterdam so shipping is not enormous, but we might have to work something out for tax and stuff.

thanks,

Joost.