Thread: Canopus ADVC-HD50

Canopus ADVC-HD50

Hello

Anybody knows if this HD card is recognized by the latest catalyst?
    Might be an interesting solution for displaying ppt etc in catalyst.

Gilles

Hi,

I think the signal from this box probably will be recognized b/c it is coming in through Firewire, but it only takes HDMI as input.....I don't know many computers with an HDMI output so the signal would probably have to be converted first

For Hi-Def inputs you should really look into the new Phoenix SDI/HD-SDI capture cards from Active Silicon.

Hope this helps
    Best Regards,
    - Marty

Hello

For real hd input I agree that the sdi card would be the right solution. But this solution also needs converting. (vga or dvi -> HDSDI) This might become quit expensive.
    Imagine the computer that runs has a dvi output. This has to be converted to HDMI. Thats easy as the signal is the same. (just use a DVI->HDMI cable)
    I just worry about the cat. Will it recognise the cannopus?
    Maybe Richard knows?

Greetz

Gilles

In 'theory' - so long as you have the mac drivers (if any) you should be able to capture video via firewire, in the same way you might connect a firewire video camera...

HOWEVER, it depends upon the resolutions supported by the canopus box as to how successful you might be. Try 720p (I doubt you will get 1080p) and set the computer connected to the HDMI in to the same. You should be able to select the input in catalyst once connected

Im looking at the same scenario, but using a Decklink intensity PRO card - haven't had a chance to test it yet...

Seems to be a good solution too. And even cheaper. Let us know your testresults!

Quote Originally Posted by gillekes View Post
    Hello

Anybody knows if this HD card is recognized by the latest catalyst?
    Might be an interesting solution for displaying ppt etc in catalyst.

Gilles
    In 'theory' - so long as you have the mac drivers (if any) you should be able to capture video via firewire, in the same way you might connect a firewire video camera...
    no,

hdv cameras are not supported as video digitiser inputs.

The Thomson Grass Valley ADVC-HD50 converter lets you instantly convert uncompressed HD video and audio from HDMI devices to the HDV format
    hdv is an mpeg2 format - its used by hidef cameras to get the same bit rate onto a mini-dv tape.

as its mpeg2 - with ibp frames - latency would be horrible - anyway - as the data can only be decoded when all the frames in a group have been transferred. this is up to 18 frames with hdv ( as far as i can remember )
    dv does not use interframe compression - hdv does.

I know you probably won't like this suggestion but the best way to input DVI, HDMI, or anything else into Catalyst is to use an HD-SDI capture card. I am using a Decklink HD-SDI card until the Active Silicon HD-SDI cards are out and working well. I also have a DVI to HD-SDI converter and a VGA to SDI converter.

The Decklink card is about $1k US
    The DVI to HD-SDI was about $1k US
    The VGA to HD-SDI was about $600 US

There are comparable HDMI to HD-SDI converters but whatever the case, expect to spend about $2k US for them. (Probably not the news you want to hear).
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    I know you probably won't like this suggestion but the best way to input DVI, HDMI, or anything else into Catalyst is to use an HD-SDI capture card. I am using a Decklink HD-SDI card until the Active Silicon HD-SDI cards are out and working well. I also have a DVI to HD-SDI converter and a VGA to SDI converter.

The Decklink card is about $1k US
    The DVI to HD-SDI was about $1k US
    The VGA to HD-SDI was about $600 US

There are comparable HDMI to HD-SDI converters but whatever the case, expect to spend about $2k US for them. (Probably not the news you want to hear).
    I'm allways open to any sugestion. And this seems a good solution. I thought things would be more expensive using HD SDI.
    Thanks for you're advice

Greetz Gilles