Thread: Text codec

Text codec

Hi guys,

What's the best codec for text files?

Prepared in photoshop - text converted to pixels - saved as psd - imported in FCP - blur/unblur _ unblur/blur over time - export to which codec?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Hi guys,

Prepared in photoshop - text converted to pixels - saved as psd - imported in FCP - blur/unblur _ unblur/blur over time - export to which codec?

Thanks!
    what did you try?

Depends on the kind of file...

For white Text on empty black background I would use Photo-JPEG @100% (gives you more crisp borders than AIC)

If you need trasparent background you have to go Uncompressed with Alpha Channel...

Everything else would be Apple Intermediate Codec (best size / quality ratio in my eyes but as mentioned above not too good with hard contrasts like b/w text - though still better than MPG-2...)
    Olli
    ------
    Oliver Ranft, Aachen, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks!
    there isnt any best - ones uses what one can get away with - that provides the performance on the system you have.

you can use dv files - if thats what your system can cope with.
    or low res photojpeg-

if you have big fast discs you can use uncompressed files.

Quote Originally Posted by OlliR View Post
    If you need trasparent background you have to go Uncompressed with Alpha Channel...
    How do you do that? I'm still learning.

What are your thoughts on the following :

In photoshop i create 2 layers, 1 black text and 1 empty (transparant). I then make it into 1 layer (tried with text as text layer or converted to pixels) and save as photoshop psd.

Then i import the files into catalyst but i cant see the text. Any idees on that?

When i do the same as above with a white text on a black background the text is crisp. But i need to layer text and as they are white on black the second layer hides the first, so i turned on transparant colour but then the text isnt as crsip anymore, it seems like the text borders become black. Any suggestions on that?

THANKS!

instead of saving as a psd, save the file as a png, you can do this in photoshop, just make sure transparency is turned on when you save the file.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonrudolph View Post
    instead of saving as a psd, save the file as a png, you can do this in photoshop, just make sure transparency is turned on when you save the file.
    the reason why photoshop .psd files should not be used- is that photoshop files have a non-transparent composited layer as the bottom layer - and the other layers on top of this.
    quicktime displays this non-transparent layer by default.

the layer compositing modes in photoshop are proprietary - so a merged layer copy should be used - saved as a transparent tiff or png - as jason says.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonrudolph View Post
    I cant turn on transparancy with tiff, it stays grey? With png i havent got the option?