Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Remote Desktop

Apple Remote Desktop

Hi all,

How fast is the updating files or controlling catalyst when i remote control a mac pro with a macbook pro? We have a short rehearsel period and setup time and we need to be able to change things fast.

Any other thoughts on that?

Thanks!

No matter what you do keep in mind that any time you alter the content in the library you will need to re-scan the whole library. (hold down SHIFT and it goes a bit faster)
    Best Regards,
    - Marty

It's ultimately for Richard to say but looks like in future releases of Catalyst, a user will be able to update content in real time to the Catalyst without the "Scanning" logo popping up on the screen.

I have also requested the ability to utilize a remote web interface tool to load content so that we don't have to turn on file sharing. Macs as great as they are still run indexing as a background task when you turn on file sharing and this slows down Catalyst when playing back.

Hopefully with a tool to load content, any user could upload a file in real time and have it scanned and ready to play in a few minutes. Of course speculation says that it would still be a bad idea to be running many layers or effects while doing this process.

So bottom line is it's not a feature currently but hopefully will be soon.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Hi all,

How fast is the updating files or controlling catalyst when i remote control a mac pro with a macbook pro? We have a short rehearsel period and setup time and we need to be able to change things fast.

Any other thoughts on that?

Thanks!
    what do you mean?

the mac pro isnt any slower than it would be with remote control?

if you are planning on using remote desktop - you need to turn off screen previews during shows and runs.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    what do you mean?
    I will need to be able to adapt the submixes positions, keystone,... change the content using FCP and keynote on the macbookpro and importing it back in to cat and then run through rehearsal or change something fast and get on with the rehearsal. So if i scan on the remote the mac pro will be updated?

Mike redmer mentioned " then i use file sharing for content management, apple remote desktop (but turn it off, if you're in showtime - it cost a lot of performance) and secure shell", but what does he mean with secure shell?

Thanks all!!

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    what do you mean?
    Outputs arent decided but depending on what we do

1. VGA 1 and 2 to beamers
    2. VGA1 to DH2G and VGA 2
    3. VGA1 to TH2G

Will there be a difference in performance or something else between 2 and 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Outputs arent decided but depending on what we do

1. VGA 1 and 2 to beamers
    2. VGA1 to DH2G and VGA 2
    3. VGA1 to TH2G

Will there be a difference in performance or something else between 2 and 3?
    not that i ever saw

As an alternative to ARDP, something I have been doing recently is using a remote keyboard and mouse.

I had an old Gefen KVMoE but the blue channel went out so it was pretty useless. I decided anyway to start taking it with me on shows. I don't use the monitor feature but the Keyboard and mouse part have given me a FOH remote.

Something new I just ordered is the Gefen Wireless USB 2.0 Extender. It was about $400 USD but this thing is amazing. I have a USB mini keyboard and a USB pen mouse that I attached to a plastic board about 10" x 15" in size. On the bottom of the board I glued the USB extender as well as a home made rechargeable battery back with some simple circuits that create the 5 Volts I need for the device and can still plug into a power supply.

Yes, this really works and since it is the same size as my Macbook Pro, it fits in the laptop bag. Now, without wires I can walk around and adjust my images. Incidentally, I can also carry this contraption to FOH and connect a USB drive with updated content. Obviously not something I would do during a show but it is working very well now between rehearsals.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Peter

just beware of cheap KVM extenders as they dont always work with Mac USB keyboards and mice, due to the inbuild hub.

Use a gigabit network and ensure that you configure BOTH macs to suport jumbo frames if moving content.

Re scan files - if you send a quickscan files command from the MacBook Pro using the 'remote' controls list - it will send to all macs on the network with 'accept remote commands' selected

hope it helps

S

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post
    Use a gigabit network and ensure that you configure BOTH macs to suport jumbo frames if moving content.
    How do you select jumbo frames and what are they?