I've been asked to comment on a new theatre installation. The theatre consultants proposed an SDI video distribution system for show video (i.e. to be used between Catalyst and projectors in various places). I kind of balked at this and said Catalyst output is DVI and then to RGBHV via Triple Head-2-Go.

Maybe I'm confused, but is there any situation in the next 10-30 years where an SDI distribution system is going to be useful for Catalyst output to projectors/LED walls/etc? I told them a 5-core copper solution terminated on BNCs for RGBHV would be more appropriate. Am I wrong? Should we be looking at fibre? This building is going to be our flagship for the next 30 years, it just feels as if 5 core analog RGBHV is not future proof. But maybe it is?

Someone suggested that CAT5 distribution systems are the way forward, but I've read about transmission rates not being high enough and other problems with systems that use digital switches. There is already two CAT5 ports in every location that the show video port will be, so I don't feel the need to go that route. or maybe i do and need to use a special kind of cat5 cable?

Any help appreciated,