Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'X Position' fade jumpy

'X Position' fade jumpy

Hi there,
    Wondering if theres a quick fix here...

I'm trying to slide video across stage to match a scenic automation but X position seems to be very low resolution and this results in a jerky motion.
    The movement is about 1/2 of the 1024x768 screen width, using an 8 sec timed fade from the Hog III.

It looks like it jitters back and forth as it goes along, is there a way to increase the resolution of the move?

i talked with flying pig and they think it is the catalyst, this would tally with the manual movement resolution of X position when programming so it looks like they might be right...

Any ideas i might try?

Thanks,

Sam Hopkins
    Projection Engineer & Programmer
    Sunday In The Park With George
    Studio 54 new york

Try using the "Movement Speed" channel....this is exactly the kind of issue it is designed for.

On H3 it is called "Image Speed" under BEAM.

***EDIT- Not to be confused with "Play Speed" which is something else entirely***

Hope this helps
    Best Regards,
    - Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Samlight View Post
    i talked with flying pig and they think it is the catalyst

who told you that ?

It's not the Catalyst it's the DMX protocol it self not the catalyst .

try record a preset in catalyst HUD for start of X position

then trigger the the next Catalyst preset using DMX Preset Trigger .

Funnily enough the 'Head of console development' told me that when I rang to ask if it was his dodgy fades... I can't see how its 'the DMX protocol itself' though, DMX is more than capable of the resolution I'm looking for.

I'll try movement speed today, thanks.

Sam

Actually, I know a number of people who have run into this problem on the Hog 3, it's not the greatest of DMX processing. I know they have improved it recently, but I have seen quite a few people pulling their hair out over this same issue on a few shows. Not just with media servers either.

I always get blamed for this - and its not me.
    its not dmx itself - its not catalyst - ( unless you are overloading catalyst )

its the update rate of dmx from the console - or their inconsistent fade calculations.
    Its also the fact that dmx is not synchronised to video - and they never output dmx fast enough to keep up with 30fps or 25 fps video.

Several years ago - the hog3 also used to be only 12bit on 16 bit channels.
    They may have played with these algorithms.

I have added graph plotting to the software recently to PROVE it isnt me. see image below - you can plot a graph of incoming dmx.
    Because its also a problem with fading intensity.
    I got blamed for poor fading on several shows with hog2- but the hog2 only outputted dmx at 20fps...

I also added movement smoothness overrides on each layer- so that if the movement from the console isnt good enough - and you cant reprogram a show - you can add movement smoothness anyway.

You can also enable movement smoothness on the keystone and aspect ratio channels. On a show in london last year - they just couldnt get smooth enough dmx from a hog2 to make this seemless-

--

At the bottom of each layer in the HUD - there is a number with a pulldown menu-
    image shown below-

You can enable movement smoothness overrides on intensity or movement channels, with different amounts of smoothness.

---

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Richard for your response.

I tried the things mentioned, looks like movement speed it will be.

The movement smoothness overrides don't seem to work with a 0 count fade, or rather, it shouldn't work on an instant cue but it does! This gives me issues, so it has to be something I can engage from the console only when required.

Movement speed appears to help.

Thanks again, happy to report that other than this issue my 3 cats are working wonderfully as usual.

Cheers,

Sam

Oh, PS, can anyone recommend a reasonable USB video or vga input device to use? The director has requested we try a trick involving input from a PC screen... don't want to blow the bank just checking out whether it works, but happy to spend a couple of hundred bucks to get a feed in and try it... any cheap and cheerful favourites?

There are some Firewire devices out there that are essentially video capture interfaces.

I have had good luck with both the DataVideo DAC-100 for composite/s-video inouts and the Canopus TwinPact-100boxes as well for this plus RGB + VGA inputs.

Link to DataVideo:
    http://www.datavideo.us/products/dac_100_main_page.htm

Link to Canopus:
    http://www.canopus.com/products/Twin...winPact100.php
    Best Regards,
    - Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Postma View Post
    thanks marty.

this looks interesting to digitise vga- ill get one to check.

havent seen this before.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    thanks marty.

this looks interesting to digitise vga- ill get one to check.

havent seen this before.
    No problem...Mainlight uses them all the time on the VLSE computers for SoftLED...very reliable.
    Best Regards,
    - Marty