Thread: HD Codecs for content creation

HD Codecs for content creation

When I was discussing this issue in a previous thread, I was informed that the Apple Intermediate CODEC was the best to use for HD Video on Catalyst and it performed quite well in the end.

So here is the new problem, I have a Windows based machine that I do most of my content creation on in my studio and it does not seem to be able to support this CODEC. Question, how can I use the Apple Intermediate CODEC in After Effects on my Windows based machine?

Please help....

Thanks,

Scott Riley

2. Hi Scott

you could always create the content on your windows machine, copy it to your Catalyst machine and then use the Convert function within Catalyst to compress using AIC.

Nev.

I was really kind of hoping to be able to continue to do this in one step. My goal is to simplify the process so that there is not such a huge portion of my time dealing with content management. When you are dealing with a large number of assets for a project, this task can easily become quite combersome.

-scott

Quote Originally Posted by SvenCRen View Post
    I was really kind of hoping to be able to continue to do this in one step. My goal is to simplify the process so that there is not such a huge portion of my time dealing with content management. When you are dealing with a large number of assets for a project, this task can easily become quite combersome.

-scott
    i put a convert function into the application, it can convert an entire range of folders in one step - from one codec to another.
    You dont even have to restart the application when convert is finished- it moves the older files into a sub folder

see the Files HUD - in m165

I have used it to convert entire libraries - in a mix of formats to AIC - in one go.

Thank you Richard, that is a great feature to have added to Catalyst. What would you recommend I start with for the initial file creation. I don't want to do too much compression but at the same time I don't think it would be very efficient nor easily manageable to encode everything lossless at first. Maybe do a Photo-JPG @ 100%?

Thanks,

-scott

Oh Wow! I just used this Scott. It took for freakin' ever but it was litterally point and click.

One thing I will warn you about though as I almost made the mistake. I have 28Gb of stock on my Mtron. When I dumped it to another disk first and ran this tool, I ended up with 40Gb of converted content which would have killed my disk.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by SvenCRen View Post
    What would you recommend I start with for the initial file creation. I don't want to do too much compression but at the same time I don't think it would be very efficient nor easily manageable to encode everything lossless at first. Maybe do a Photo-JPG @ 100%?

Thanks,

-scott
    thats always been a very difficult question to answer throughout the entire history of post-production....

the answer is whatever you have the resources to do.

digital video makes it too easy to look at compression 'artifacts'.