Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Catalyst v4.1 m165

To promote my machines as "higher value" I tend to run them all as 3 or 4 output machines. Using a TH2G and 2nd output or two DH2G, it means I can consistently output four 1280x1024 or 1024x768 feeds. Part of doing this is based on cost to build a system. the x1900 wasn't an expensive upgrade on the old Tiger systems. Something comparable would be fine.

I have heard there is a new release on the horizon which is supposed to mean more advanced MAC Pro machines. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    Got a new MacPro.
    Boots up in tiger - but default BTO low end X2600 graphics card isnt supported except with minimal features.

Initial testing with x2600 works ok on a single monitor - but really overloaded with a triple head. Same deal as nvidia 7300.
    nvidia 7300 has poor performance, doesnt like hidef files. Doesnt like triple heads. Overloads very easily.
    There is almost a $3000 upgrade cost to get the Quatro FX 5600. Yes, it might be able to run 2 TH2G at 3840x1024 giving me six outputs. It's just insane that I would have to pay more for the damned video card than the base computer by itself. Then it brings about the fact that at a minimum of 3 layers per mix, 6 mixes means 18 layers which is way over 1 universe.

I'm perfectly happy with 12 layers split on 4 outputs using the x1900.

The x1900 worked fine. According to a quick look at the spec, the new Geforce 8800 will not perform quite as well as the x1900 did. Why would apple downgrade (oh yeah, I do own an iphone, I guess I shouldn't be surprised).
    Being that a critical part of Catalyst performance an stability is the GPU, I will become quite angry if Apple doesn't have a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    Might boot up properly with x1900 card instead of x2600.
    Might try testing with x1900 later
    Even if we can get the x1900 to boot with Tiger on these new machines, what happens when x1900 cards aren't available anymore for MACs?
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    Even if we can get the x1900 to boot with Tiger on these new machines, what happens when x1900 cards aren't available anymore for MACs?
    tried today - couldnt get it to work with the x1900 inside jan08 macpro. ( there are 2 graphics card power connectors inside the machine )
    will hunt around see if i missed something.

the entire range of graphics cards just changed - have to see what happens in the next month.

8800 isnt available yet. listed as 5-7 weeks delivery on US applestore from today
    I have 2 x xt2600 in my mac pro.

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    Then it brings about the fact that at a minimum of 3 layers per mix, 6 mixes means 18 layers which is way over 1 universe.
    im trying to do 32 layers on a show in london - just about got it to work-
    they only need low resolution images - just lots of them.

Here is an article on how to re-enable "legacy" codecs when updating to quicktime v7.4

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/1112#more-1112
    Andrew Atienza

Fx Production Services
    http://www.fx-ps.com

Thanks drew-

this is really really stupid thing for apple to do...

almost everyone uses these so-called 'legacy' codecs.

terrible user interface change- hiding these things away.

Almost noone will spot this-

--

This isnt all thats broken in QT7.4

QT 7.4 not recommended. ( oh apple stupidly gives and error in iTunes if its not installed... )

10.5.2 better ?

does 10.5.2 give catalyst better performances ?

Quote Originally Posted by emilianomorgia View Post
    does 10.5.2 give catalyst better performances ?
    Yes.

Seems to.

its an awful lot better. only 10% slower than tiger ( rather than 80% ) in first tests.

Just got a new MacPro in yesterday. I'm waiting for my Mtron SSD to come in, but I was wondering if I needed some other parts to use the hard drive sliding trays?
    Andrew Atienza

Fx Production Services
    http://www.fx-ps.com

9. Hey Drew

nope - just put the four screws from the tray into the drive and push it home!

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk