Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New manual

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    but there isnt a separate manual for each version?

Why dont you give a more direct link?
    As of this writing, there is not a separate manual for each supported product in the Catalyst v3 family as DV 1.0, Pro 3.0 and Pro 3.2 each have a current software release based on f28. As new products with new features are developed and documented, the manual will evolve accordingly, though not necessarily for each supported product - it's possible that a new manual may only apply to the new products.

The latest software release of each product is listed on its support page and will have a manual suitable for that product. Please refer to the support page as needed for the latest manual.

thanks reagan.

Please tell us when you have a new manual or part of manual.

I know you have a new version of software ready---- because i wrote it.

I might also have to write additional documentation and place it here - for new features if your manual is not adequate.

So reagan.

Have you guys proof read your new support pages correctly, and not repeated a lot of mistakes you made in the past?

Post v3.3 Manual available

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    thanks reagan.

Please tell us when you have a new manual or part of manual.

I know you have a new version of software ready---- because i wrote it.

I might also have to write additional documentation and place it here - for new features if your manual is not adequate.
    A new manual specific to v3.3 (Pro, DV, Xpress) is downloadable
    here[pdf] 12.2 MB. New features are described in detail (though I'm sure Richard can comment further if the manual doesn't satisfy product questions). Use this form to report errors or omissions in the manual. Cheers!

The stuff on presets isnt quite right.

The order in the chapter is confusing- and should be example led - not feature led.

you dont show someone how to use a phone - by telling them what each button does.

Since I wrote the presets section I guess I should answer this.

a) I write to a timeline - other people have to proof, format and typeset what I write. I had a limited amount of time to write this section.

b) It is very much work in progress.

c) We will be releasing updates regularly and revising existing documentation.

Hugh

Hugh - in your next revision -

You should show people how to do things with presets.
    Showing people how to do tasks is always a much better way of writing a manual.
    You can show people how to do 3 or 4 things - and they can figure out everything else for themselves.
    Describing features one after another makes manuals unreadable and unuseable.

I have repeated this message to everyone who has attempted to do manual writing.

Presets

Presets are very important as their purpose is to remove the need for complex programming to be done on a lighting console - in certain situations.

There are very easy to set up and use, and hopefully much much easier to learn than to learn how to program a lighting console.

This is the approach that documentation needs to take.

You dont have to learn how to store and program cues, with complex parameters.
    You can play back all parameters with great flexibility independantly of each other.
    Presets are designed to be setup and used in seconds.

examples

these are the things you should show people..

you should show people they can do all the following from seperate presets:

1. fading a layer. without altering any other parameters.
    2. fading a layer and changing other things.
    3. loading a movie. without altering any other parameters.
    4. loading a movie faded out, then fading it in.
    5. playing with visual fx.
    6. altering just visual fx.
    7. moving the image in a layer.
    8. moving the image to random positions.
    9. moving the image in a circle, or a figure of 8.

10. storing or capturing all current parameters.
    11. altering captured parameters.

12 setting up the keyboard to do different sets of things.
    13. using keys to just alter certain parameters, like start and stop a movie.

etcetcetc

Whats the latest manual for 3.3 - is it 102804 or 111204??? the former is what appears in the Cat3 folder afer installation. However, I seemed to have got version 111204 from somewhere too - which is the most recent... and whats the correct download address??

(I assume that its the usa date format... can it be included on the front page of the manual in full dd/mmmm/yyyy so theres no mistaking the latest version??)

Cheers
    S