Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Continous Artnet streaming...

Quote Originally Posted by enttec View Post
    That's one of the main problems with DMX over Ethernet systems such as Artnet. It's UDP, so packets can get lost and if they do it can have devastating visual effects as we all know. Murphy's law does say it will lose the off packet patched right in the middle of your screen

I think that continuous unicast would be the best solution, I can tell you that the datagate can definitely handle 25fps unicast for all 8 ports.

Thanks

Nicolas
    www.enttec.com
    thanks nicolas.

please try to test with continuous data up to 30fps across all 8 - thats what the americans use.
    people do use this to playback video across huge backdrops on tv shows - and its vital that nothing ever drops a frame - really vital-
    thats why im baffled by the frame drop thing- this stuff almost always gets used at peak load. hammered.

the test you need to make with your boxes is this - strobe flash black and white at maximum speed with no glitching - ever.

This is how i benchmark these systems - if they cant handle this -they simply arent good enough.
    Have to be able to handle black white strobing with no glitching and no latency.

its comes across as a huge glitch on shows - you dont want section of a backdrop ever go missing.
    I did some tv shows last year with 100m of backdrop- and it all needs to work.

on the size and scale that this stuff is visible - nothing should ever drop anything.

i have never seen udp packet loss as an issue

richard

Richard

This is how we test, and we haven't seen any problems with unicast.
    If someone, has experienced differently please contact me

Nicolas
    www.enttec.com

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    i have never seen udp packet loss as an issue

richard
    Packet loss can happen anywhere, it's impossible to make sure it never happens.
    A switch will drop packets, the nodes can drop it if 2 packets arrive too close to each other or it get's busy ....
    The tcp/ip stacks that all of us use can drop UDP without warning for a number of reasons.

What I'm saying is because there is no ack, there is no way of knowing that the off frame was ever received. UDP was designed for cases where you don't care about losing packets, in these applications we do.
    So there are 2 options either switch to TCP which was designed specifically for making sure every packet got to destination (unlikely) or stream Unicast UDP packets continuously. That way if a packet does get lost it will only be until the next update which would hopefully very shortly after.

Thanks

Nicolas
    ww.enttec.com

im my experience doing this for 4 years now - udp/ethernet packet loss has never been an issue.
    its been dodgy software in various artnet boxes that broke things.
    Artnet box designers never expected the continuous volume of traffic.

TCPIP is has not been necessary.
    TCPIP has poor response to failure in realtime systems.
    I would say if boxes cant handle udp in realtime - handling tcpip is even harder - and much more complex.

Its much better to work in open loop.
    UDP Failure recovery times are immediate - and require no re-negotiation.

Handling TCPIP re-negotiation is often not handled correctly either. ( i remember pulling the network cable out of a hog3 years ago, and it never came back online... )

I count dmx input network packet loss- i read all output artnet packets ( and artnet status ) from the network input.

I check the sequence id in the artnet packet - and count the errors.

I have never seen a significant number of packets lost over the nextwork.

Artnet box designers never expected the continuous volume of traffic.
    Yes, I know and we fell in that trap too.
    First versions of the datagate firmware would die if you send more than 12 universes, it never came to us people would be broadcasting 40 universes of artnet.
    New versions can handle this a LOT better but it's still prone to missing packets when you get to the upper limit.
    With Unicast it's not an issue and never was.
    Unfortunately, situations where box manufactures and software designers can talk aren't very common.
    So this is good Richard if we know what the other is expecting it allows us to make the whole system work better.
    that's my 2 cents any way

Cheers

Nicolas

www.enttec.com

So this is good Richard if we know what the other is expecting it allows us to make the whole system work better.
    that's my 2 cents any way

www.enttec.com
    thanks nicolas.

i appreciate your input.

this stuff gets hammered - and the slightest flaws show up....

most of the shows i do with this stuff are both huge and high profile.
    i did a 30 universe show very early on at the wynn hotel in las vegas - and it really really needed to work perfectly the entire time - and it does as far as i know.
    i worked with unicast artnet from the very beginning. artnet always supported this.
    they use fibre switches, and that kindof thing.

richard

thanks nicolas.

i appreciate your input.

this stuff gets hammered - and the slightest flaws show up....

most of the shows i do with this stuff are both huge and high profile.
    i did a 30 universe show very early on at the wynn hotel in las vegas - and it really really needed to work perfectly the entire time - and it does as far as i know.
    i worked with unicast artnet from the very beginning. artnet always supported this.
    they use fibre switches, and that kindof thing.

richard
    Simon at stage electrics just did a 48 universe show with luminex boxes, and unicast artnet, and reports no problems at all.

We had a client in the US that did a 200 universe !!!! display with datagates, and it worked fine too, there was no visible lag between any of the outputs.

Unicast isn't a problem and scales very well. I guess we just need to get the word out there !

Nicolas
    www.enttec.com

We had a client in the US that did a 200 universe !!!! display with datagates, and it worked fine too, there was no visible lag between any of the outputs.

Unicast isn't a problem and scales very well. I guess we just need to get the word out there !

Nicolas
    www.enttec.com
    thanks nicolas.