I have always used DMX to run shows. Therefore I know most of my point might be outside of yor requests using just the internal cue control.

One consideration not taken into account here is positioning.

If I have a single output on a fixed projector then I tend to leave all layers out of any mixes so that cat puts them all on my output. I can them manually assign cues on my DMX console to position and scale each and all layers to a specific part of the screen. For instance, upper left or lower right.

When I make my content I take this into account. However, if for some reason I wanted to zoom a piece of content so that everything outside the frame of view didn't show up, I would use a submix as you're talking about.

I think this is what you mean when you're talking about using Layer 1 and Layer 2 over it, right?

If you are using the mix1 mix2 scenario for displaying small windows over your background. Remember you don't have to use a submix to do that. You can just scale and position your higher number layers.

I use submixes for three reasons I'll share below. I am interested in the feedback from other users as to what little tricks have worked for you and why.

How I use Submixes:
  1. If use multiple outputs (as well as DH2G and TH2G) and want different or multiple layers on each.
  2. I send the same layer to different projectors where the gain, keystone, and general settings are different for each projector.
  3. I need different keystone and/or edge blending settings for a projectors (such as a DL1 shooting two different screens).