Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leopard ...

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    i
    new macbook pros - have an exclusive version of the operating system for now
    This scares me. Apple has always tried really hard to release "working" items. The fact that there is a different version for the Macbook Pro indicates to me that there are hardware and driver conflicts with Leo.

I will be interested in seeing feedback from Cat users to see if Leo is causing capture card, video card, or scsi hangups.

It would be nice if Apple just released a scaled down version (sort of like XPe) which gets rid of the crap we don't need.

My suggestion for anyone listening is to create a hard disk with just Catalyst installed on top of Tiger. Then if you decide to use Leo you can have it on a separate partition that doesn't compromise your shows.

I do this anyway since I use my Cat machines as render clusters in post anyway.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Have been running catalyst on a 2.6G 8Core Mac Pro, supplied pre-installed with Leopard. All functionality seems to be fine.

However the most up to date version of quicktime didn't seem to include apple intermediate codec. Tried the web installer - but eventually had to find the 'apple intermediate.control' file and copy it from my laptop to the mac pro... - then it worked.

Also disabled: time machine, dashboard, mouse zooming, expose, and desktop views, put all drives in to privacy too.

This Mac was awaiting its proper ATIX1900XT card and was still running on a NVIDIA7300 - the graphics bargraph in catalyst was high and I would expect this to drop significantly with a replacement card.

So good news for leopard so far - but I don't think theres a great need to rush out and upgrade your tiger system - and no need to downgrade your new leopard system.

S

Looks like Simon has the right idea. What he did is exactly what anyone else with Leopard should do.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Careful with Leopard and x1900, they don´t go along well. My system started freezing from out of nowhere. Took some time to figure out why, as I´d put in some more RAM etc. But hopefully the machine is cured with clean fans and a clean 10.4...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post
    Have been running catalyst on a 2.6G 8Core Mac Pro, supplied pre-installed with Leopard. All functionality seems to be fine.

However the most up to date version of quicktime didn't seem to include apple intermediate codec. Tried the web installer - but eventually had to find the 'apple intermediate.control' file and copy it from my laptop to the mac pro... - then it worked.

Also disabled: time machine, dashboard, mouse zooming, expose, and desktop views, put all drives in to privacy too.

This Mac was awaiting its proper ATIX1900XT card and was still running on a NVIDIA7300 - the graphics bargraph in catalyst was high and I would expect this to drop significantly with a replacement card.

So good news for leopard so far - but I don't think theres a great need to rush out and upgrade your tiger system - and no need to downgrade your new leopard system.

S
    functionality - yes fine-
    but leopard has terrible performance on the machines i tested.
    dual g5 , intel mac pro 2007.

not recommended at all.
    do not upgrade, only use if you have a new machine which doesnt have an option.

its 50%-100% slower in number of layers than tiger - on exact same hardware-
    not dependant on codec or rendering, all movies are much slower.

Quote Originally Posted by ping141 View Post
    Careful with Leopard and x1900, they don´t go along well. My system started freezing from out of nowhere. Took some time to figure out why, as I´d put in some more RAM etc. But hopefully the machine is cured with clean fans and a clean 10.4...
    leopard has terrible performance- 10.5.1 is a dog.

only use if you have to. otherwise steer clear for now.

there really is nothing at all worth upgrading for.

some x1900 have heat issues- they have been half documented-
    i had a demo machine from apple at LDI trade show which had screen corruption.
    I managed to switch to tiger- and problem remained. so its not OS related.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....049&tstart=120

x1900 is a good video card- the 7300 is really lame.

not recommended at all.
    do not upgrade, only use if you have a new machine which doesnt have an option.
    We got a Mac Pro 2.66 with Leo the week before the newest ones were released, but it worked fine to install a clean Tiger from an older Mac Pro installer I had.

some x1900 have heat issues- they have been half documented-
    i had a demo machine from apple at LDI trade show which had screen corruption.
    I managed to switch to tiger- and problem remained. so its no OS related.
    One theory I came across was that Leo generally uses the GPU more than Tiger, so that it will become hotter. I can only speak for myself, but my x1900 worked like a charm for a year with Tiger, and crashed repeatedly with Leopard. Every morning the machine would have frozen from just being idle. And Quartz Composer gave me hourly freezes when running a bit hard.

One theory I came across was that Leo generally uses the GPU more than Tiger, so that it will become hotter. I can only speak for myself, but my x1900 worked like a charm for a year with Tiger, and crashed repeatedly with Leopard. Every morning the machine would have frozen from just being idle. And Quartz Composer gave me hourly freezes when running a bit hard.
    its not nice to go from rather stable 10.4.11 to the instability and poor performance of 10.5.1-

drives me crazy - every couple of years - the entire system gets broken - and we have to start from scratch-
    its nonsense.

---

i get the feeling there are significant numbers of bugs not resolved in 10.5

for me though the main problem is terrible performance -