Thread: Rotation rounding issue

Rotation rounding issue

A few weeks ago I worked with a setup were I had to place a black rectangle inside my output in the place where a second projector would insert a live picture PIP.

I was not able to get smooth outside lines on all four sides of the rectangle. On defaul value for Z-Rotation the left side of the rectangle had a pixel step in the lower third.

I thought I might be a wrong default value in the DMX console - but trying some finetuning only showed worse results.

But as I don´t see this effect when using the Catalyst Layer GUI without DMX - it has to be DMX-related.

Maybe there should be a range of values rather than just one value for real 0 degress rotation...

Maybe someone has some better idea or found a solution for this...

Cheers,

Olli
    Olli
    ------
    Oliver Ranft, Aachen, Germany

you mean steppiness on hard lines like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Almost like that...

...except I had I perfect rectangle at 0 degree rotation but on the left outside there was only one step in the line.

I would not care if it was a movie being played back - but when blanking some space for an external PIP that step is really annoying.

As I said I tried to reproduce the effect from the HUD GUI but there I always got the perfect and not steppy rectangle - so it might be a DMX issue.

I know that I will have steppiness with rotation - but when not rotating there should be a perfect shape without a step on one outside.
    Olli
    ------

Here is a picture to illustrate what I saw.

It is not a screenshot but a Photoshop image - just to give the idea...

Inside the black mask a seperatly controlled projector would insert a live PIP.

Given the live feed projector will be a perfect rectangle I would like the masking for it to be the same...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Olli
    ------

If you have the GUI active and the layer window open when you are using DMX, does the rotation for the window show 0? If not, the desk isn't outputting the correct value.

What console are you using?

Cheers

Toby

Quote Originally Posted by OlliR View Post
    Here is a picture to illustrate what I saw.

It is not a screenshot but a Photoshop image - just to give the idea...

Inside the black mask a seperatly controlled projector would insert a live PIP.

Given the live feed projector will be a perfect rectangle I would like the masking for it to be the same...
    looks like the dmx value is correct for zero-

which console is this?

default value should be- 32768 - i think - in 16 bit dmx.

This made me think.

I notice you are creating content with the black window in it. I used to do this before submixes but now I just create a transparent submix in a position on the main image that the client wants and then I use the black file 001 in folder 000 to create a black window where the IMAG shoots through.

This way, you can fade it in and out if you wanted to.

Of course it helps when you're fading if you have an iris in front of your IMAG projector to remove the black level when faded out.

I have always used DMX on Catalyst and I have never seen a line break like you are talking about.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised