Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCSI Drive

SCSI Drive

So I have a Catalyst G5 Quad box that I bought from High End. The SCSI drive is no good in it and I am thinking that instead of replacing the internal drive (I think heat killed it) I should just get an external SCSI Raid Array. Anybody out there have any opinions about this plan and/or have any reccomendations for SCSI for G5's internal or external? Thanks. Mark

2. Hi Mark

an single fast internal SCSI drive will be the best option - a 15k RPM SCSI drive is standard in the Catalyst PRO servers we build in the UK. The Fujitsu MAX3147NP seems to have one of the fastest seek times at the moment.

There have been lots of posts here about the pros and cons of various RAID configurations - I believe (and Richard will correct me on this) that the only viable external RAID system tested so far is the Apple Xserve Raid unning over fibre channel.

This does all, of course, depend on what you are aiming to do with your Catalyst server and the content thereon.

Nev.
    Digital Services Manager
    PI Digital

Thanks for the info. What control card would you have installed in a G5 quad? I think I will need to replace that as well...

Quote Originally Posted by markjlights View Post
    Thanks for the info. What control card would you have installed in a G5 quad? I think I will need to replace that as well...
    control card?

I think he means the SCSI Controller Card. I would be interested in that question as well. Which Controller Cards have been reliable and fast? Are there any alternatives to the ATTO SCSI, which a lot of people seem to be using.

Any help would be apreciated.

Thomas

Hey Mark,

Forget the SCSI. Instead take the old disk and controller out and replace them with a new Mtron SSD. If you search the threads here you will see where we have been talking about using Mtron disks.

These things are very fast but you are going to have to spend about $2,400 (including shipping) to get a 64Gb disk.

Read these threads:

http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richa...ighlight=Mtron

SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

I agree - SSD is about the same price as a 147G SCSI disk - 'Most' show content would fit on a 64G SSD

However, for those who use SCSI, to answer the question, the ATTO SCSI Cards are the only SCSI option for the G5's.

There are a number of 10K and 15K SCSI drives available - Cheetah 10K.7 - 147GB ULTRA 320 SCSI drive, in tests in a G5, performed better than a Cheeta 15K. Try Nevs recommendation of the Fujitsu MAX3147NP if you dont go with an SSD

8. PID will very shortly be distributing Mtron's range of SSD drives - contact me for pricing.

Nev.

Quote Originally Posted by NevBull View Post
    Hi Mark
    There have been lots of posts here about the pros and cons of various RAID configurations - I believe (and Richard will correct me on this) that the only viable external RAID system tested so far is the Apple Xserve Raid unning over fibre channel.
    Nev.
    Digital Services Manager
    PI Digital
    scsi raids are fine but dont work any better than a single disc - unless you want to do uncompressed video
    so no point doing a raid.

xserve raid works better because it has a gigantic disc buffer and clever algorithms that overcome individual disc limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by markjlights View Post
    you shouldnt have to replace the controller card. unless it doesnt work either