Thread: CMY Transparency

1. CMY Transparency

I would love a color effect that would allow me to dial in the transparent color.

yes.

there arent kindof enough colour parameters.

because you need to select the colour, the range of colours to become transparent and the smoothness or sharpness of that transparency.

needs quite a few parameters.

3. Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    yes.

there arent kindof enough colour parameters.

because you need to select the colour, the range of colours to become transparent and the smoothness or sharpness of that transparency.

needs quite a few parameters.
    I understand that it needs to be a lot of parameters so is it a control limitation?

Tyler
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr
    I understand that it needs to be a lot of parameters so is it a control limitation?

Tyler
    Have you ever tried to do a useable key - even with professional equipment - and the best software?

Its a nightmare....and users would complain the whole time "Its not good enough"

Keying on colours - any colour - is a nightmare.

'Colour' isnt just 'colour'.

Its a research project in itself to get this stuff right.
    And their are many many psychological factors at work.
    ( we read things as continuous colours, where in reality -- there are many many shades caused by shadows, lighting, viewing angle )
    The computer cant read the users mind.
    The users might think he wants something - the computer cant know what the user wants.
    The computer has to interpret the information using a way which is not compatible with the way we perceive colour, or the visual experience of colour.

People are used to seeing professional and seemless compositing - but they dont see the effort and fiddling, which goes on to make this happen.
    Nor do they see 'Shake' or whatever at work - in non-real-time with a whole stack of filters trying to extract foreground and background information, smoothly and visually pleasing.
    As a last resort ( or even first resort ) on many shoots, people hand draw masks- because its easier to do this than correct anything a computer does automatically.