Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
dv is best - and the quality is absolutely fine for live action type things.
The performance is very consistent encoding is quick - and its totally compatible with all the mini-dv cameras out there.
but it only works at one image size.

if you need other size you have to use photojpeg- the performance isnt as good as dv - but its fine-
it works better than all other codecs - h264 ( all key frames ) works but performance not so good.

animation codec can be very close to uncompressed datarates - so its not a cpu problem but a disc bandwidth problem-

What size of images are your animation files?
What do you mean DV only works with one size? We are rendering in DV-PAL at 1024x768 or whatever size we tell After Effects to be. What is the material difference between Native DV that you get off a camera and DV-PAL? And how would we render back to Native DV? After Effects and i-Movie do not seem to have a "DV" option. It is DV-PAL or DV-NTSC, and from what I am gathering, DV-PAL that you render to is different from DV that you get off a camera.

Animations are 1024x768. I thought, possibly incorrectly, that 1024x768 was the best size as that is the native format of the projector. Plus, my designer often zooms in on stuff in Catalyst, so lower resolution will just mean more distortion from the start.

Thanks for your help,

Kevin