Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: midi and SFX, G-Type, Showman

midi and SFX, G-Type, Showman

I've got a show next week that I'm going to be recieving my cue triggers via midi from SFX. It is the SFX version without midi show control, so I'm a bit baffled by how to get Catalyst to recieve GO commands for the cue list using midi notes. So my first question is how do I do that? I've found the midi triggers panel, and set it to receive on midi channel 2, Note 1. But not sure how I relate that to the cue list.

Thinking more broadly, is there a way, via midi, to get Catalyst to "listen" to the cue list in SFX, G-Type, and/or Showman. If there was a way, then I could just create a parallel cue list in Catalyst and attach the appropriate presets to the cues without having to have the sound op create specific triggers for me.

Likewise I would be interested in doing the same with a Strand 500 series LX desk. Would save me having to remote in and put in triggers or having the LX op do it for me.

Thanks,

Kevin

i wrote something quickly.

i think strand 500 did midi show control?

( midi triggers- trigger pdf below )
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Regarding MSC, is there anything in that specification that allows for devices to listen to other device cue lists? So I could just setup a parallel cue list in Catalyst and the only thing that the sound or LX people would need to do was to turn on some setting that would allow a broadcast of what the cue list was doing?

Kevin
    Kevin Carson
    Lighting & Video Technician
    Royal Shakespeare Company

Quote Originally Posted by kmclights View Post
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

Regarding MSC, is there anything in that specification that allows for devices to listen to other device cue lists? So I could just setup a parallel cue list in Catalyst and the only thing that the sound or LX people would need to do was to turn on some setting that would allow a broadcast of what the cue list was doing?

Kevin
    hog2's always send out a msc cue from the cue lists
    this is described in my web manual - i attach image.

they send out a cue list and a cue number - for example
    fader 1 cue 2 sends out msc go 2:1

you attach this to a show cue in catalyst- and they automatically track.

i have done many shows in the past using this-

---
    as far as different consoles -
    every console is different-
    the hog2 worked the best.
    other consoles might also do this.

some shows i have seen recently have done this with grandma
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kmclights View Post
    I've got a show next week that I'm going to be recieving my cue triggers via midi from SFX.Kevin
    where is your show?
    London?

What about using MSC over 100m ethernet cable with internal midi sync over ethernet mac os 10.4?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    What about using MSC over 100m ethernet cable with internal midi sync over ethernet mac os 10.4?
    what do you mean 'using msc over 100m ethernet cable'?

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    what do you mean 'using msc over 100m ethernet cable'?

I think he want to use Apple network midi ....

I've tried few times to work with it , but I never been able to make it work .

Quote Originally Posted by emilianomorgia View Post
    I think he want to use Apple network midi ....

I've tried few times to work with it , but I never been able to make it work .
    not sure he does - as you need computers at both ends to do anything meaningful.

jl cooper do midi line amplifiers for doing midi over long distances.

http://www.jlcooper.com/pages/mla.html
    MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is an increas- ingly important consideration for schools, recording facilities, stadiums, arenas, hotels, amusement parks, or other facilities where MIDI messages are required to be sent a long distance, or to multiple locations.

The MIDI standard only permits a maximum cable run of less than 50 feet. The innovative MLA Series MIDI Line Amplifiers overcome this limitation.
    midi is a current loop signal- driven through an optical isolator - its not voltage driven.

the capacitance of the line limits the rise time of the signal to a certain cable distance.