Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unicast Artnet

Unicast Artnet

Richard,

I am unable to Unicast data to Artistic Licence Artnet products. PixelMAD can see them in them but they appear greyed out in the DMX Artnet/Universe tab, so I cannot select them. Luminex products are in black text and can be selected. AL products work fine if I Broadcast data to them.

Any ideas?
    Glyn O'Donoghue
    A.C. LIghting

Quote Originally Posted by glynod View Post
    Richard,

I am unable to Unicast data to Artistic Licence Artnet products. PixelMAD can see them in them but they appear greyed out in the DMX Artnet/Universe tab, so I cannot select them. Luminex products are in black text and can be selected. AL products work fine if I Broadcast data to them.

Any ideas?
    mmm. i will try and check.

Hi Richard,

I'm having the same problem with Cat m132. My netlynx box shows as "Power on test" in interfaces and is unable for unicast. Works fine broadcast.

Another thing is that I only seem to be able to see one interface on the interfaces screen when i have 2 ethernet and 1 airport interface. I have to disable airport and my other ethernet port to get my artnet one to show, if airport is enabled, it is always the only interface.

Cheers,

James
    James Cooksey
    Basic Monkey Limited
    t: 0844 870 0036 // f: 0844 870 0046 // e: enquiries3@basicmonkey.net

seems to work for me-

is this a new Artistic licence box?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artnet.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	341  

On that drop down my NetLynx (which is unconfigured and works well with unicast from my vista) is grey and unavailable for selection. On the interfaces page it shows as "power on test" continually, tried power cycles etc...

Can you explain why only one network port is available on the interfaces tab at any one time as above? IE: if airport is connected then it is the only one avail etc.. I'd like to be able to have both wired connections active to enable laptop - server comms and artnet, at the moment I seem to have to disable airport and use first ethernet port for artnet or it wont show.

Cheers
    James Cooksey
    Basic Monkey Limited

Quote Originally Posted by basicmonkey View Post
    On that drop down my NetLynx (which is unconfigured and works well with unicast from my vista) is grey and unavailable for selection. On the interfaces page it shows as "power on test" continually, tried power cycles etc...
    Cheers
    which software are you using catalyst or pixelmad?

the 'power on test' message is just a display of whatever the artnet box cares to send in the message field. it does not mean anything.

Can you explain why only one network port is available on the interfaces tab at any one time as above? IE: if airport is connected then it is the only one avail etc.. I'd like to be able to have both wired connections active to enable laptop - server comms and artnet, at the moment I seem to have to disable airport and use first ethernet port for artnet or it wont show.

Cheers
    artnet and laptop probably dont have compatible network ranges- networks have subnet masks which determine which physical ( or virtual ) interface is mapped where-

this is the sub net mask in the tcpip settings.

artnet is 2.x.x.x
    with subnet mask 255.0.0.0

typically on a LAN a dhcp server will generate addresses in the range 192.168.0.x or similar
    with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

what you probably have to do to enable artnet and laptop network on the same physical port is duplicate settings in network setup -

try google- 'Macintosh multi-homing'

i think - then after duplicating the airport settings - you set the duplicate airport network to use an artnet address.

maybe - this stuff is not very easy to understand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duplicate airport.png 
Views:	417 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airport settings.png 
Views:	409 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	343  

Quote Originally Posted by glynod View Post
    Richard,

Any ideas?
    i think artistic license changed the OEM Id for this device in the artnet reply - i have a list of devices i know about-

i think the way i display this contains a character that disables apple's menu items.

I think i fixed this -

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    which software are you using catalyst or pixelmad?
    Catalyst m132

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post

artnet and laptop probably dont have compatible network ranges- networks have subnet masks which determine which physical ( or virtual ) interface is mapped where-

this is the sub net mask in the tcpip settings.

artnet is 2.x.x.x
    with subnet mask 255.0.0.0

typically on a LAN a dhcp server will generate addresses in the range 192.168.0.x or similar
    with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

what you probably have to do to enable artnet and laptop network on the same physical port is duplicate settings in network setup -

try google- 'Macintosh multi-homing'

i think - then after duplicating the airport settings - you set the duplicate airport network to use an artnet address.

maybe - this stuff is not very easy to understand.
    I'm normally pretty up to scratch on networking but i've only been in possession of a mac for a week now so it's a little alien.

I've had my network set up with the mac pro using ethernet 2 as artnet (2.0.0.100 and 255.0.0.0) and ethernet 1 as a direct link to my macbookpro (192.168.201.8 and 255.255.255.0) which I use to inject video updates (I'm doing on the fly content generation)

This works fine in mac, but are you saying that Cat doesnt like the mac showing as multiple IPs and only bonds to the first one it finds?

Cheers.
    James Cooksey
    Basic Monkey Limited

This works fine in mac, but are you saying that Cat doesnt like the mac showing as multiple IPs and only bonds to the first one it finds?

Cheers.
    no- we are talking about something different

this is a different technique- its called multihoming - different network address range - same physical network port.

Ahh right, I think we might be at cross purposes...

See email.
    James Cooksey
    Basic Monkey Limited