Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Memory Needed?

my single 140 gb scsi drive just got delivered.
    This is the largest scsi drive size currently available.

Testing results later.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr
    So if I did that I would have to have some kind of external HD enclosure because if I am thinking correctly there is only room for 2 internaly

Tyler
    the glyphtech enclosures look promising for touring type environments.

www.glyphtech.com

They seem to have a little experience of our industries.

3. Cool SCSI Drives

Correct me if I am wrong but if we go with these 15K RPM SCSI drives will be be able to mount them in the onboard slots in the G5 and just modify the case slightly to get the cables to them? In that case I will not need to provide any external storage at this point.

Tyler
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

Correct me if I am wrong but if we go with these 15K RPM SCSI drives will be be able to mount them in the onboard slots in the G5 and just modify the case slightly to get the cables to them? In that case I will not need to provide any external storage at this point.

Tyler
    i would hope so.
    but the 15000rpm drives get very hot.
    i bought a couple of 10k drives last week, and they dont get so hot. ( im investigating any performance differences )
    at 25fps it isnt anywhere near as critical.
    its running at 30fps which is harder

you really kindof need to keep the operating system on a different disc - to keep things fast.

so im looking into putting 2 scsi drives and one sata drive inside the case.
    I would replace the dvd drive with another scsi drive ( or move the sata drive ).

you can get 'enclosures' to mount drives that fit exactly into the dvd drive bay.

richard

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    at 25fps it isnt anywhere near as critical.
    its running at 30fps which is harder
    if you are running everything at 25fps its almost possible to use only a single 15k or 10k drive.

6. Correct but in my opinion if we are going to spend the $$ I would like to spend a little more and get the best. I thought you were saying earlier that the slowest drive would slow the whole system down. So wouldn't a SATA drive slow the system down if I had 2 15k SCSI drives for media?

I also want to keep the CD drive intact. I think I would add one of those internat mounting options for the SATA drive then. However is there anyway to find out if the 15k drives get too hot for the G5's fan setup?

Have you talked to Andy?
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

just modify the case slightly to get the cables to them?
    Tyler
    i think round scsi cables might work.
    http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richa...read.php?t=166

so you dont have to modify anything.
    but you might.
    i have some on order.

Correct but in my opinion if we are going to spend the $$ I would like to spend a little more and get the best. I thought you were saying earlier that the slowest drive would slow the whole system down.
    the os drive has no effect on performance.

I think I would add one of those internat mounting options for the SATA drive then. However is there anyway to find out if the 15k drives get too hot for the G5's fan setup?
    testing it. measure the temperature - leave it running for a couple of days - and use you hand to see how hot it gets - or use a thermometer.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    the os drive has no effect on performance.
    as long as you dont put any movies on it. it wont affect anything at all.

g5 jam review

someone did a review of the g5 jam.

i may have to get one.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard36.html

there was a rumour that the next mac revision might have more internal drive bays -- but they havent turned up yet.
    and one should never rely on rumours - especially apple ones.